Sign in to follow this  
ErdricksArmor

System shuts down with Sisoft Sandra and locks up randomly

This is my first post, hello to all.

I recently put the below system together, but have had issues of random shutdowns.

DFI Lanparty UT SLI-DR Expert

Opteron 170 (LCB9E 0652 WPMW) w/Swiftech Apogee GT

2gb PC3200 OCZ EL Platinum

2 x WD1600AAJS hd's (main and pagefile/storage)

eVGA 8800GTX w/EK 8800GTX water block

Lite-On SH-A167S DVD+/-DL

Thermaltake Tough Power 750

Thermaltake Armor (modded)

After setting this system up I installed WinXP SP2 without any issues. I then proceeded to install some applications but received errors. CPU and GPU are running at stock settings, ram is 2.3.2.5/2T. The CPU core temps are 30°/40° respectively, which seems a bit odd for there to be a full 10° difference between them.

I installed Sisoft Sandra and when I go to get information on the mobo or GPU etc the system shuts down. I don't receive a BSOD or any board leds or alarms, the PSU cuts out and the system just powers off. I get a SidebySide error on Event Viewer, which has to do with some possible corrupt/error'd files in Sisoft Sandra.

So far I ran memtest on both memory modules for 8+ hrs without errors. My next step is to swap in a working GPU and processor and see if either of these components are faulty. If all these test fine it would seem the mobo is working and not faulty.

I have also had the system lockup after staying on for more then 12 hrs. I would leave the PC running with no apps opened and after returning later in the day the system would be locked up. I would have to hard boot the box, I was unable to ctl/alt/del or get back to the desktop.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

^_^_^

omg me2.. I thought it was because my ram sucked and it was overclocked a bit

so I dont use that . anymore even though it would of been cool to

The expert will crash anytime the SMBus is scanned. You can disable the SMBus scan in Sandra Options.

I would run Orthos blend overnight and then hit with some loops of 3Dmark 2003 to check system stability first. Memtest is not an end all for determining memory stability and if you are running on default timings it could very well be memory related.

omg me2.. I thought it was because my ram sucked and it was overclocked a bit

so I don't use that . anymore even though it would of been cool to

Any luck with finding some stable ram?

The expert will crash anytime the SMBus is scanned. You can disable the SMBus scan in Sandra Options.

I would run Orthos blend overnight and then hit with some loops of 3Dmark 2003 to check system stability first. Memtest is not an end all for determining memory stability and if you are running on default timings it could very well be memory related.

Thx for the Sisoft Sandra tip. I have been running Orthos for 17+ hrs since yesterday on one memory module in slot 2. The temps haven't gone above 50°/60° at full load.

I will run this for a full day then swap memory and finally test with both modules.

I haven't found much info on this, but does anyone know why my CPU is showing such a large temp discrepancy between the cores? I may try and reseat the water block, but it is snug and is making good contact right now.

^_^_^

Do you have any virtual drives? I had a similar problem and it was caused by a virtual drive created with cloneCD. If thats the case the only thing I could do to fix the problem was a fresh install of windows.

So far I have tested the ram and cpu on another working system without any issues. I will test the GPU when I am done, which would leave some fault with the mobo.

This system was a fresh install, only drivers and testing/diag software installed.

^_^_^

I really dont think its the graphics card, for the most part GPU's either work or they don't work. With a motherboard there can be an unknown fault. You could be using the motherboard and as soon as you try to use a feature that is faulty (one that is not normally used, or one that isnt heavily used by windows) the computer can freeze. Its rare, but possible.

LOL, I didn't believe you... so I downloaded it and tried... sure enough, chose motherboard hardware info and Whump! the thing just shut down on me... g/f even asked..."what the hell was that!?!?"

ErdricksArmor: try your ram at 2-3-2-8-2T or at 2.5-3-2-8-1T I found mine slightly unstable when gaming at 2-3-2-5-1T. RyderOCZ gave m these timings as stock, even though they're shipped as 2-3-2-5...

I had to try it when I first heard of it too.

Any idea what IC's the OCZ plats he is using have? Maybe I can come up with some timings

I used to have a set of those OCZ CPE-K plats - and they were rubbish. No errors when MemTest from cold - but after running for like 12hrs or so one of the sticks would start to develop errors. You can't imagine how painful it was to track that down...

Doubt that you'll be experiencing the same - but you could try running your machine for a few hours and then warm boot back to the BIOS, enable MemTest and let it run. Do you get errors? If you do, then it's an RMA I'm afraid...