Sign in to follow this  
crunchie

DFI and Opteron

It is my understanding that DFI do not recommend using Opties in their products. Could someone explain what the difference is between running an opty versus an X2 Athlon64?

The answer could be the reason why I cannot get either an opty 165 nor a 170 to run on either of my nF3 or nF4 UltraD boards.

Guest MadDias

there is zero difference between an opteron1xx and an x2 athlon64 with 2x1mb cache...

opterons are made for workstation solutions, they are not ment to be build into end-consumer pc´s, that´s why they are not on the compatibility list of any end-consumer mainboard description.

u shouldn´t have any problems running an opteron in ur ultra-d. maybe u just need a bios update.

there is zero difference between an opteron1xx and an x2 athlon64 with 2x1mb cache...

opterons are made for workstation solutions, they are not ment to be build into end-consumer pc´s, that´s why they are not on the compatibility list of any end-consumer mainboard description.

u shouldn´t have any problems running an opteron in ur ultra-d. maybe u just need a bios update.

That's what I have read everywhere :). I have flashed the BIOS to the latest official DFI release already with no reward :(.

Win flashing is not generally recommended.

Burn the image to CD. Boot with op drive as first boot device. Select appropriate options and complete. Done.

There are a lot of custom BIOS on there, those are of course not supported by DFI. Some well suited for certain types of mem, for example... idk, I've only used the last official one. A few HDD/testing tools too.

Lil off topic: boywander, did you celebrate May 25 as Towel Day in remembrance of Douglas Adams?

The sig quote made me think of that...

Got TMods CD and tried three different BIOS on there and I am still getting the shutdowns.

The shutdowns are like pulling the plug from the socket. Black screen, everything shuts down. I can boot straight after by hitting the power button on the board (it's not in a case atm).

I have been told elsewhere that this could be a PSU problem, but I have tried two 500w psu's, an Ultra X-Finity and an FSP(Fortron) 500. Both these run my 3500 Venice @ 2600+ with zero problems on both boards.

Sounds like something is shorting out.

Maybe the temperature shut-down is enabled in the BIOS, but a bit too low.

Dual cores run hotter than single cores.

Check the Shut Down Temperature in the BIOS :)