gaming pc - best fps for the money

powsmowl

i still havent upgraded yet, planing to do so for the past 3 months...im posted and read countless threads in countless forums..still cant decide...

im planing to upgrade my motherboard, ram and cpu, GPU etc will come around feburary

heres what ive been looking at:

E4300

P35 board (probably DS3P)

2GB ddr2-800 ram

or

AM2 4400+

590SLI board

2gb EPP DDR2-800 ram

im just looking for FPS...ill be using the x850XT (since i only play css atm anyway) and will upgrade to whatevers out in about 8 months...

i DO NOT care about 3DM or superPI times..just the best fps for the buck...the 2 configs cost the same

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen enough of the P35 based boards to be able to say which is better. It may be subjective anyway.

With the 9X multi of the E4300 I would probably look into a proven 975X based board, they are decent clockers, very efficient and reliable. This is just my opinion though.

ok...would the P35 board be good or would a 650i (ultra or sli) be better?

Go for the nvidia. Performs better in most tests if you google motherboard performance on each. Especially easy to find benchmarks for 650i.

If you are getting a C2D, the way they perform you won't need to have the best if there is such a thing, these chips plow through anything you throw at them, even at lower clocks.

I don't have the best water cooled or phase change or any of the other super geeked out stuff.

All I know is this rig of mine folds 24/7 and does all of my other day to day work without any problems. I can't really say that was the case when I had any of the AMD offerings.

As far as gaming fps wouldn't that also depend on your monitor? Bigger is better, right?

Good luck on your search for the best, but I can tell you it isn't necessary.

If you are getting a C2D, the way they perform you won't need to have the best if there is such a thing, these chips plow through anything you throw at them, even at lower clocks.

I don't have the best water cooled or phase change or any of the other super geeked out stuff.

All I know is this rig of mine folds 24/7 and does all of my other day to day work without any problems. I can't really say that was the case when I had any of the AMD offerings.

As far as gaming fps wouldn't that also depend on your monitor? Bigger is better, right?

Good luck on your search for the best, but I can tell you it isn't necessary.

The man has a point.

• 2 weeks later...

It makes little difference in games, but in everything else, Intel is better, and AMD's current offerings are trash. 35%-40% better performance for video rendering, dvd shrinking, encoding FLAC to MPC for my portable DAP, and when the q6600 drops to $266 before AMD even has a quad core out, AMD is going to be buried. :/ And the people who buy AM2 when AMD announces their new socket are going to get the shaft too. :(

if you are gaming, then AMD is just as good as Intel, as your video card and amount of RAM are more important than just about anything else.

If you just got to have the best cpu out there for vid editing, sound editing, whatever that requires lots of cpu power, then the Core2 is the better choice.

For me, it comes down to price. Can I get a comparable Core2 + 2GB + good video card for the same price or lower as an AMD setup? If so, Intel wins. If the AMD setup saves me a good deal of money ($100 or more), then I'd go with the AMD.

You need to bear in mind future upgrades. Quad cores, DDR3 etc. I bought my board due to the higher FSB and Quad core support (didn't have the patience to wait for a DDR2/DDR3 board which are now available).

The C2D to quadC2D is pretty straight forward but I haven't checked out AMD's equivalent. I believe its roadmap/plan changed recently but not sure on the upgrade path impact it will have.