Sign in to follow this  
Jarman

Which memory to buy?

Hi, first venture into overclocking a C2D.

Could anyone give me a quick difinitive answer on whether its better to have DDR 6400 with tight timings if there is any advantage to 8500 or so with looser timings??

Thanks

James

The AMD CPUs can take better advantage of lower latencies than C2Ds with regard to memory performance. However, if you are a gamer, there is no substitute for more clock cycles. It's been a long time since I OCed an AM2 so I don't remember what speed my memory capped out at. But, don't limit CPU speed just to get better memory speed or latencies.

IMO, buy some good Micron based PC8500 which is dirt cheap these days. That way, you should be able to run CAS4 or possibly even CAS3 at PC6400 speeds and be able to loosen the timings as you scale up in speed.

Good price for sure. Do you know (or care) what ICs are in it?
That made me smile. I often wonder why people even bother to type out a request for advice when they should just ask what's the cheapest s*it I can buy right now.

no :) dont know, does it make a big difference? i know whats in my DDR1 kits....TCCD, BH-5 etc. Cant remember whats in my G.Skill HZ, samsung urrm... i see people hitting 1000MHz with this Geil kit at "reasonable" latencies. The OCZ kit you mentioned using the micron chips is 2x the price.

my first venture into OC of a conroe so didnt wanna waste too much money. Got a RD600 DFI board for £80, ram for £60 and the new dirt cheap conroe (1.6GHz) for £50, that will tide me over til prices on quad cores are slashed on July 22.

Coupled with my new watercooling kit of a D-Tek fusion CPU block, 2x black ice stealth rads and Dual LAING DDC ultra pumps im just gonna OC that chip for every last drop of performance it will give ;)

That made me smile. I often wonder why people even bother to type out a request for advice when they should just ask what's the cheapest s*it I can buy right now.

The point of the question was to ascertain if i will gain any from spending £150 on a 8500 kit instead of the superbly priced £60 low latency 6400 kit. That ram kit gets nothing but good reviews even when it was priced at treble what it costs now.

I mean if i have to spend high money on RAM, i will. The G.Skill HZ in my pc now cost me £250 which is like $500. But i NEEDED that ram to get the most out of my opteron 165. If i could have gotten away with spending £100 on a ram kit without taking a massive performance hit, i would have done.

There are some seriously great deals out there. You only waited for one reply. A ton of us have used a number of sticks of memory and have an idea about best bang for the buck. Give us a chance to reply next time.

A number of us here also know about squeezing every last drop of performance out of a system. You started out with an inefficient motherboard so you are already behind the curve but that's cool, it's a board with a lot of options to play with. Should keep busy with your OC for awhile.

well again, the motherboard was very cheap. $60 cheaper than a P965 based board. A friend of mine also has the same board and has managed 3.5GHz from his E6600 on air with it, so i didnt really question the board's credentials. Maybe i will lose 200MHz compared to a 680i based board?? not sure...but i dont think that justifies the EXTRA $180 one of those costs.

And the ram kit i went with will be "equivelant" to the ram kit you are using in your #1 machine.

This machine will just be a very cheap machine to dip my feet into intel chips, as ive never really had 1 since the glorious celeron 300 which i managed to get to 500 MHz without any problems.

There are some seriously great deals out there. You only waited for one reply. A ton of us have used a number of sticks of memory and have an idea about best bang for the buck. Give us a chance to reply next time.

A number of us here also know about squeezing every last drop of performance out of a system. You started out with an inefficient motherboard so you are already behind the curve but that's cool, it's a board with a lot of options to play with. Should keep busy with your OC for awhile.

So what is the best bang for the buck in DDR2 ?

So what is the best bang for the buck in DDR2 ?

Not sure wil :) my knowledge of ram is limited to DDR1 being an A64 boy since the 754 3000+ that i bought many years ago now (and is still being put to good use in a media centre i might add!) :D

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=MY-082-OC

They seem to be an awesome offer for 8500 modules (if u live in the UK that is). Think they use the Micron chips the corsair rep recommended too, which cant be bad.

Maybe CPDMF will be kind enough to provide us with some input :S

I should update my sig. I'm running TeamGroup PC1000 Micron D9GMH at the moment.

Who knows, maybe your decision will turn out to be awesome and we all may learn a new bang for buck lesson.

The G.Skill HZ's are about the best deal going right now, have yet to find anything that even comes close for the money.

Sign in to follow this