(Dr.) Bottlenecks: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Just Buy the

That's a good resolution. Get the monitor, it'll be pretty no matter WHAT resolution you game at and be ready for your next GPU upgrade. The 20" and 22" monitors both run the same resolution as of now, so you know.

Thanks, after the monitor will come a new GPU. (and yeah i noticed 20+22 have the same reloution when i was researching them but thanks)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with this, playing a game at 150FPS+ is worlds more fluid than 85FPS, more so when there is allot of movement.

Too bad that's all in your head. Your monitor only puts out 60HZ regardless. But as long as you're happy... whatever.

Too bad that's all in your head. Your monitor only puts out 60HZ regardless. But as long as you're happy... whatever.

That sounds like when people say their stereo has a larger soundstage when they use the all silver $2K cabling. When they blind test it the same as regular well shielded, $0.25/foot 12 guage.. it blows their mind. :)

no its not in my mind. i admit that LCD panels are the exception, but i want to see YOU work with a CRT @ 60Hz. i bet you would be more than happy to get a hold of one that has a higher refresh rate. and the statement that displays go no higher than 60Hz is also untrue, when i set my LCD refresh rate to 75Hz it shows as such in the OSD. having a higher refresh rate and hardware to push the frame rate to match DOES make fast movements much more fluid, as im sure any FPS veteran who games on CRTs can attest to. no offence, but to tell me its all in my head is a bit undermining... :angel:

First off, suggesting using an 8800 series GFX and a CRT monitor in the same sentence is a joke. (Which is what this thread is about.)

Second, it's also a joke to talk about a CRT monitor in a thread that's CLEARLY about LCD monitors and how they are the true bottleneck in any highend system, which is the kind of monitor that's in a high end system. Also, anyone with enough $$$ to blow on an 8800GTS/X will not be using a CRT that at best puts out 16x12 resolution, if they are, I'm sorry you lost your job in the middle of an upgrade or I'm sorry you wasted your money on a card that you definitely don't need.

Third, did you or did you not read my disclaimer at the front? It clearly says that there are niche exceptions, a CRT/8800 is one SMALL niche.

Lastly, you obviously did not read the article or you'd note that only a very select few LCD monitors can go over 60FPS on their top resolutions... and to my knowledge they are all 12x10 and below, even then 75Hz=/=120FPS. It's in your head. If you've gaming on a CRT, I'm sorry, for both being wrong and for you still working with such a lame monitor whose only saving grace is the blacker blacks (kind of.)

First off, suggesting using an 8800 series GFX and a CRT monitor in the same sentence is a joke. (Which is what this thread is about.)

Second, it's also a joke to talk about a CRT monitor in a thread that's CLEARLY about LCD monitors and how they are the true bottleneck in any highend system, which is the kind of monitor that's in a high end system. Also, anyone with enough $$$ to blow on an 8800GTS/X will not be using a CRT that at best puts out 16x12 resolution, if they are, I'm sorry you lost your job in the middle of an upgrade or I'm sorry you wasted your money on a card that you definitely don't need.

Third, did you or did you not read my disclaimer at the front? It clearly says that there are niche exceptions, a CRT/8800 is one SMALL niche.

Lastly, you obviously did not read the article or you'd note that only a very select few LCD monitors can go over 60FPS on their top resolutions... and to my knowledge they are all 12x10 and below, even then 75Hz=/=120FPS. It's in your head. If you've gaming on a CRT, I'm sorry, for both being wrong and for you still working with such a lame monitor whose only saving grace is the blacker blacks (kind of.)

ok, lets cool things down, im not the type to argue :).

i was stating in reference to the article that i do notice above 75FPS, i was commenting on the article, nothing more. you said it was in my head hence my reply, even though i was talking about the article. i also said that i DO agree with you about the LCDs, but i do notice a difference from 60Hz and 75Hz, fast, sudden motions are smoother. you are right, there are certain exceptions, and FYI there are some nice CRTs out there that do nice high resolutions, but are a strain on my eyes. sorry for the misunderstanding, no harm done i hope:rolleyes: .

Oh, no, I wasn't angry. With Vsync on, I can't tell the difference between 40FPS and 60... I just can't, and refuse to believe anyone else can pick it out either. Keep in mind this is all said calmly and reasonably. Without vsync on it goes crazy... tearing and what not. The higher the the framerate the crazier tearing is and the lower the framerate the more screen stutter I get. No thanks, I'll take my vsync :).

Very interesting article Thraxz. Well written. I completely agree based on my "non-Excel-chart" analysis of my old system compared to my new. My old Venice 3200 2.5GHZ DFI Lanparty 2x512mb OCZ was only marginally slower than my current rig on virtually all games. Personal favs like Rome:Total War and HL2 unchanged. The only exception was Q4 which was like playing a new game after the change. I upgraded for different reasons than the all too common 3dMark penis contest, but I am still to this day completely impressed with how kickass a rig that Venice system was. My buddy who I sold it to uses a 19" monitor (with my old 6800gt card) so he is still maxing out all his games with it. I used a 7900GTO for both rigs.

On a related note for all those buying bigger monitors because of Thraxz, my buddy (different guy than Venice rig mentioned above) just bought a 37" 1080p LCD monitor/TV and it just blows away my 24" DELL 2405PW in picture quality and color. $1000 shipped. Shouldn't have bought the DELL. I would not recommend it if it didn't look simply fantastic as a computer monitor.

Food for thought.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824112174

o and Thraxz i agree a new monitor befor a new gfx card u are right on that point no doubt the one u chose is up 2 ur liking really but a better monitor will make ur gaming better than any fps i dont care if ur pulling 15 fps a bigger monitor is a better investment than a new card ... atleast ur monitor wont be worth 1/10th the amount 3 months later

I hope you don't get offended Bad_Religion, but don't you think it could be a good idea to use a portion of punctuation? As it is now I struggle to read your posts.

It's just a suggestion.