DFI Infinity Ultra NFII Woes

Hey Forum

I am working on my father's computer with the following specs:

DFI Infinity Ultra NFII with Tictacs 6-19XT BIOS

AMD 2600+ Mobile

SI-97 w/ Enermax 90mm

Crucial Ballistix PC3200 Z402

XFX 6600GT

Ultra v-Series 500W PSU (28A 12v, 32A 5v, 20A 3.3v)

I have the motherboard on an open bench with fans all over it to cool the hot spots (SB, NB, mosfets for CPU and RAM)

I was able to overclock my CPU to 2.5GHZ stable with about 1.725v but my problem lies in the memory. I was able to hit 236MHz stable with these settings:

Gene BIOS Settings:

CPU Clock Setting: 236MHz

AGP Clock: Auto

CPU Ratio: 9X

DDR Dram Clock: 1:1

CPU Voltage: 1.725v

AGP Voltage: 1.6v

Chipset Voltage: 1.6

Dram Voltage: 2.7

Advanced Chipset Features:

System Perf: Expert

CPU Interface: Optimal

Memory Timings: Expert

TRAS: 11

TRCD Read: 3

TRCD Write: 3

TRP: 2

CAS: 2.5

TRC: 9

TRFC: 13

TDOE: 2

TRRD: 3

TW2P: 3

TW2R: 3

TREXT: 3

TR2P: 3

TR2W: 4

SuperBypass: Enabled

Sync Mode Memory Bypass: Enabled:

Data Scavenged Rate: Fast

CPC: Enabled

DIMM 1-3 Driving Strengths: Auto

DIMM 1-3 Slew Rate: Auto

For some reason once I hit 237MHz my tests fail. I've been using HCI Memtest and SP2004 to test this. I've tried loosening timings quite a bit, upping voltages (memory, northbridge, etc) and nothing has helped. I did try a drive strength of 7 but I'm not sure what values of drive would be good for these sticks on this board. I am also clueless to what some of these alpha timings are (I know the alpha timings on the NF4 series but not these names)

Does anyone think the NB could be overheating? I haven't checked the paste nor have I lapped it yet ;) Would any volt mods help me out in this situation? I'm willing to mod the board once I start hitting walls.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Have you tried CPU interface set to Aggressive with

Sync Mode Memory Bypass set to dissabled at the same time? I used to run PC4000 Ballistix in mine and it allways prefered it set that way. I think you will find that the Auto settings for Drives and slews will be 11-4, they are for most dual sided ram with the exception of BH5.

I doubt very much the chipset is getting to hot with the low voltage you are hitting it with.

Have you tried CPU interface set to Aggressive with

Sync Mode Memory Bypass set to dissabled at the same time? I used to run PC4000 Ballistix in mine and it allways prefered it set that way. I think you will find that the Auto settings for Drives and slews will be 11-4, they are for most dual sided ram with the exception of BH5.

I doubt very much the chipset is getting to hot with the low voltage you are hitting it with.

What exactly does setting the CPU interface to agressive do?

I tried doing what you suggested, for some reason I can't post when I disabled Sync Mode Memory Bypass ?? What does setting it to Auto do? Enabled?

Edit: This board seems to have posting issues around this FSB, I always have to shut off the PSU, turn it on and wait ~5 minutes and then boot it to get it to post right