Sign in to follow this  
puzzled

Nvidia control panel will not load

I've been having this recurring problem with getting XP Home Edition to recognize a SLI set-up, & to get the control panel to load. I had an older Asus board with a physical SLI bridge & a pair of 6600GT's. No matter what drivers I used, no SLI, & no Nvidia control panel. There was also stuttering when trying to scroll IE7. I replaced the old board with an Abit AN8 32-SLI. Nothing changed. One of the 6600GT's later died, so I swapped both out for a set of 7600GT's. I figured that a dieing 6600GT may have been the problem all along. Nothing changed again. So, I have the same problem, no SLI, & no Nvidia control panel. Most of the system has changed recently. The only thing that remained the same is the PSU, & the hard drive. Any suggestions? I'm frustrated.

I removed the drivers using XP's control panel, then shut off the system. I pulled the slave card & bridge. I rebooted, but could not F8 in to safe mode. When XP booted I used Drive Cleaner Pro to remove the leftovers from XP & the registry, then shut down. On reboot I loaded the 93.71 drivers. It seems to be working properly now with one video card. No more stuttering while scrolling IE7.

When I go in to the device manager, there is a yellow exclamation point next to the 7600GT in display adapters, & one next to the Ugur micro-processor in system devices. There is also a yellow question mark next to mass storage controller in other devices. Lastly, there are red X's next to direct parallel & WAN miniport in network adapters. Any ideas if some of these are Nvidia related?

I would reinstall the Nvidia chipset drivers. That should take care of the yellow question mark. The red X may mean that the device is disabled.

I rebooted a few times & the single card is doing fine. I have just reinstalled the 2nd video card. On reboot XP does not give a message that SLI can be enabled. I right clicked on the desktop, clicked on properties, & then clicked on settings. Screen resolution was low & color quality was 8 bit. I changed the resolution to 1280x1024 & color to 32 bit. I then hit the advanced tab, & the Nvidia control panel popped out from the left side. But then something freaky happened. It disappeared & XP's control panel froze. It would not close by hitting the X, or with control, alt, delete. Windows task manager didn't recognize it as running or not responding. When I went into the XP control panel system, hit the system icon, hardware, & device manager, the 2nd card did not have the yellow exclamation point the 1st card does. I rebooted the system & now the 2dnd card does have the exclamation point. IE7 doesn't stutter, but it seems to scroll slower than it should. The other thing is when dragging something like the system properties box across the desktop, it doesn't do so as smoothly as it should.

I tried to reload the drivers & I'm still having the same issues. I then deleted the download. I will download the drivers again, delete the currently loaded ones, & reinstall the newly downloaded ones.

It's the same story with the newest download. Is there any chance the drivers on Nvidia's site could be corrupt?

after all that uninstalling and re-installing drivers, especially chipset drivers, I'd seriously think about a fresh install of XP, then first thing install the latest chipset drivers, then graphics driver, then everything else...

I'm using the beta Forceware 160.03 drivers... seem pretty stable to me, no problems and the NVIDIA control panel is much more organized than before... I haven't tried the non-beta 158.27 drivers but imagine the panel is layed out the same there too...

Also, have you checked in the BIOS to make sure you have the PCI-E slots to both run at 8x? if you're still set for one to run at 16x and the rest at 4x or 1x then that would also cause the problem with enabling SLi...

Edit: JUST NOW FOUND THIS DRIVER: 160.02 WHQL Driver... Apparently good for gaming...?

P.S. sigs are supposed to be no taller than 300px... yours is 490px... thought I'd let you know before angry deletes it :-) lol

I really didn't want to wipe the HD clean. I'll try a reinstall that keeps the files & programs I have intact. It's almost 8 years worth of stuff. I did download 120.02, but got the same results as before. Guess I'll have to find that Window XP CD. Thanks for the tip on the signature.

yeah, if you've changed motherboards, you definitely NEED to do a fresh install... sometimes you get really lucky if you switch between boards with the same chipset, but if you change chipsets you have to... Windows 98 was pretty forgiving with hardware changes, but XP isn't at all. Why not back all your stuff up to one of your other rigs then do a completely fresh install, then move what you need back and get rid of the rest?

I tried one time to back up the complete system with XP's built in back up program. It didn't work out as planned. I don't know if it's an adequate program, or if it's that & my lack of knowledge about back ups. I was thinking about this program http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/ & getting a large external hard drive http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1164155963918to back up all of the systems from time to time. Do you think this would fit my needs?

trueimage is a great proggie... and thats a damn fine price for the mybook... if you have the cash, I'd recommend :-)

So i take it u decided to go for the fresh install...