Starcraft 2

THEnumber337

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lolz, I love how peeps fall in love with the rendered movie of a game way early in the dev cycle. Blizzard has a team of artists that is only dedicated to making cut scenes.

There's a difference between falling in love with a rendered movie of a game way early in the dev cycle and just looking forward to the game.

There's a difference between falling in love with a rendered movie of a game way early in the dev cycle and just looking forward to the game.

not only that, but knowing Blizzard's track record...it's impeccable to say the least. I can't recall Blizzard EVER putting out a game that was bad, much less insanely popular like legal crack.

I'm not a Warcraft (nor WoW) fan, and not really a Starcraft fan, but I am easily able to say that I consider it fact that Blizzard has never disappointed fans with any of their games based on the the crazy popularity of all of them.

Myself, I first got my taste of original Diablo on a cloned disc (Blizzard used to allow you to make a copy and give to a friend and that copy ONLY worked when you played with the friend based on the cd-key...they just wanted you to be able to play with a friend on a LAN which was really rare way back then, or over a modem, which was how it mostly went).

The instant Diablo II was released, I bought it and played it for almost 5 years. It was the game I unleashed on momma when I first tried to get her to enjoy gaming, and it worked better than I ever could have hoped for lol.

Let's put it this way....I can NEVER play Diablo II again...that's how much I've played it. I've simply burned myself out on it forever.

Starcraft original? There's a hell of a lot of players just like I am with Diablo with the Starcraft game. Korea...they play at internet cafes until they die (true stuff, look it up!). There are MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of Starcraft games sold in South Korea. They have hugely popular national tournaments and they are televised and get killer ratings.

Warcraft original...anyone who denies these games weren't exceptionally popular is in denial. Then there's World of Warcraft, which is the big diamond in the middle of the platinum ring called Warcraft. 8 million or so copies of this game sold already I think. My numbers might be slightly off, bet come on, console games don't even sell 8 million copies unless they are labeled Halo 2.

RTS games aren't my bag, but every once in a while one comes along that captures my heart. Age of Empires original was the first one I ever loved. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War is crazy fantastically good, cheese and all (god I love this game). Spellforce I'm just now finally playing (blowing dust off a game that has sat on your rack for 3 years is kinda funny) and really liking. Never cared for C&C nor Total Annihilation, nor the other "Age" games.

Anyway, to make a long story short, there's a reason why people are already touching themselves in dirty ways thinking about this game being released. CGI rendered video nor actual gameplay video isn't the reason. The videos could have been just two dudes taking a crap on a sidewalk and the exact same amount of clamor for the game would be happening.

Like everything in this world except for air, food and water, not everything is for everyone. However Starcraft is huge...a lot of you new gamers maybe don't fully grasp exactly how huge because it has been something like 10 years since Starcraft first came out. Now, take what you know about the World of Warcraft phenomenon, and apply it to a game that has been around for 10 years and people REALLY have died from playing it too much.

This is huge and I think I'm going to like it. I'm definitely going to play it (I played that Commander game that everyone likes but I didn't like it, I have C&C's new game installed and I really just can't get into it, so maybe I won't like Starcraft, but I probably will). In fact, I got my buddy's Warcraft II and III cd's on the same rack shelf as Spellforce was hanging out, so I might even give them an actual try this time, instead of playing for an hour and deciding I didn't like it lol.

Anyway, that's my speech about Starcraft.

SCII??? FOOKIN' A MAN!! I am completely blind sited by this attack. SC is the game that really pulled me into computer gaming. Sure I played a couple computer games before it, but nothing fun enough to warrent me being a PC Gamr. Man I remember going out with my buds, then at 1-3 in the morning each of us looking at each other and saying StarCraft at the exact same friggen time. Then hopping in the car and roarin' down the streets 80-90mph and playin' till 7am.

Oh yes, I know the phenomenon. I'm one of those sick bastards who think the re-cut of Metallica's song "One" with SC sounds is better than the original.

I LOVE strategy games.

Btw, I have to applaud your open mindedness AG. Rare and pretty damn cool. STARCRAFT!!!

Starcraft is cool. Made the gaming hooks bury deeper into my skin. Also got a friend of mine into games - a real serious Maths whizz with a dislike of computers and its associated culture. I'd wake up at 8 on a saturday and he'd been on my computer for hours already playing Starcraft. The nice man that I am I made the Teas and shouted orders at him over his shoulder - "watch out for the Zergs on your left flank. G*d D*mn it man listen to me! GIVE ME THE FR*CKIN MOUSE BEFORE YOU LOOSE YOUR... never mind..."

Maths whizz - hopeless at strategy, but boy could he drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Starcraft a bit and was impressed, but never was a big fan of RTS until Age of Mythology. Seriously that game to me and my friends was like frickin' heroin. The best hook in that game was the music. It continuously changed throughout an entire MP LAN game and the best and most catchy music always came in at that first real "battle contact" part of the game. Where you both have medium size / medium upgraded units and are sending out attack parties. I liked Age of Mythology better than Starcraft because one Godlike player couldn't take out everybody within 5 minutes with a Zerg rush. All you Starcraft players know just what I'm talking about. I'm just not that fast and I like building cities and stuff. Building is fun. :angel:

The best level on Myth was Jotunheim where you would have two teams of four and the only way through was a narrow canyon where uber-cool and uber-gigantic battles would occur. Oh man it was fun. A masterpiece.

Another great thing about Starcraft was that it was probably the most well balanced game between races (in the hands of experienced players of course) considering they all played very differently.

I play Rome:Total War a lot now because I like the "pause" function. I'm an old man. I just cant use a mouse as fast as all you kids can in Starcraft-like games.

But I'm pretty sure Starcraft II will absolutely be a masterpiece. How can it not be? It has such a reputation that even if it sucks, millions will still buy it AND love it based on nostalgia alone.

Check out this article, its hilarious and has a great write-up of Starcraft.

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/2010.html

im still holding out for Diablo 3

I'll be sure to add you to the list of admittances for the Nursing Home I'm going to build for people waiting for Diablo 3.

I'll be playing Hellgate: London until D3 comes out.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be sure to add you to the list of admittances for the Nursing Home I'm going to build for people waiting for Diablo 3.

I'll be playing Hellgate: London until D3 comes out.

that's what some people said about starcraft 2 ;)

• 1 month later...