Techstation on the Cheap ;)

Wow !!! I should have seen this thread before !!!

I'm currently building my own techstation too. It's almost finished. I tested it yesterday and I was into Windows when it freezed. Then I tried to restart it, but the LEDs on the motherboard were staying lit, and no other thing was happening. I think maybe the PC was grounded on the techstation, because I then removed it from the tech station, put it on the mobo box and it was fine.

But I didn't think to use nylon screws lol... I'll post pictures very soon, but I warn you, mine is not a standard techstation like all of you guys. It is huge and it can carry up to two BTX PCs, and it is also on wheels. Well I'm anxious to fix my problem and send you pics... :D

Edited by The Smith

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some quick pictures of my techstation:

post-31336-1219785166_thumb.jpg

post-31336-1219785177_thumb.jpg

post-31336-1219785184_thumb.jpg

post-31336-1219785191_thumb.jpg

post-31336-1219785207_thumb.jpg

The left bracket can me moved from left to right to support bigger motherboards:

post-31336-1219785213_thumb.jpg

One problem so far:

post-31336-1219785198_thumb.jpg

As I said, it is huge. Only one ATX mobo on it seems very small. With wheels it is very useful. I can drive it anywhere in the house. :P The other side is not ready yet for another motherboard. I also need to install screws for PCI cards.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Edited by The Smith

looks pretty cool so far... I'd love something like that for testing on two platforms, switching hardware between the two etc...

so, why is it not wide enough for the ATX mobo, did you just have the base laying around somewhere? I guess it's pretty easy to notch out a section for PS/2 access, but I suppose it's not vital really as long as you have USB keyboards...

looks pretty cool so far... I'd love something like that for testing on two platforms, switching hardware between the two etc...

so, why is it not wide enough for the ATX mobo, did you just have the base laying around somewhere? I guess it's pretty easy to notch out a section for PS/2 access, but I it's not vital really as long as you have USB keyboards...

No it's wide enough. I just didn't think that the angle aluminum pieces would block a part of the I/O panel... So I guess th I/O panel of a BTX mobo would be even more hidden...

I'd also like to install power switches and LEDs on the side.

I meant, the gap isn't wide enough :D

Didn't think, or didn't measure? :P I would have thought you'd have every type of measuring device ever made in that aladdin's cave you call "chez moi" :lol:

I like your idea for switches and LEDs... did you bend the cross-beam part that supports the front edge of the motherboard?

I meant, the gap isn't wide enough :D

Didn't think, or didn't measure? :P I would have thought you'd have every type of measuring device ever made in that aladdin's cave you call "chez moi" :lol:

I like your idea for switches and LEDs... did you bend the cross-beam part that supports the front edge of the motherboard?

I didn't think :lol:

And yes I bended and welded the rectangle of aluminum of the size of two BXT mobos. Then I installed the vertical pieces.

Have you guys ever seen the Techstations on HighSpeedPC.com?

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merch...Code=TopTechSTD

I think they're pretty darn cool, and they come in handy, but I don't have $80 plus shipping to lay down on one. So what's a guy to do? Build one, of course!

I went to my Home Depot and bought some 5/8" square stock (2 x 36"), some rubber feet, a 4-pack of angle brackets and some nylon screws. I then popped over to my local Ace Hardware and picked up three packages of plastic bumpers. I used the assembly instructions from the HighSpeedPC site to figure out how big to make everything. With about 3 hours of work (including planning) I ended up with this:

dsc04815mb8.th.jpg

dsc04816uo7.th.jpg

I had the rest of the parts laying around the shop. I even put a screw in to hold the PCIe card in place :beer

Aside from the parts I already had, I spent about $12. I can't wait until I start getting some parts in to test it out.

wow pretty kwl that iam goona make one my self got loads of spares i need testing thx for the idea i will post some pics off my one when it is done :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I've seen quite a few 'benchies', and sincere respect, and hat's-off to all you guy's who've made your own :thumbs-up:

But I came across this the other day :

http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Micr...ts/5980-2.html

:wub:

That freakin' thing, (with it's twin Radeons) should be in an Art Gallery ! Drool !!!

The only let down I can see is: it's astronomical price!

I was wondering if any of you lads could make it cheaper ? <_<

Modulok_merged's cool looking one, for instance, with clear polycarbonate and m/b location re-sited above, would certainly 'give it a run for it's money' !

I know it's a lot harder to support your graphics cards and wotnot, but let's face it, you paid a lot of good 'brass' for them.

Show 'em off ! Show 'em off ! :lol:

Cheers

terminator

Edited by terminator