Techstation on the Cheap ;)

Guest Loony
The extra size is mostly for testing Extended ATX mobos (server size, etc). However, as Praz showed us earlier you can use it for watercooling gear, too. Yes, they're more expensive, but the trend here is that even the regular ones aren't worth the price. Build your own and make it as big as you need it, and for a fraction of the price.

On mine right now I have a CFX3200, 3200+, nv6200 vid card, PSU, DVD rom, one HDD and a floppy.

I was thinking of making some and selling them. Just wondering. I have some cool ideas. :tooth:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got two TechStations and have really enjoyed them.

I swapped the top and bottom plates on one of them to put the motherboard on the top level. Once I transferred the drive rail mounting holes to the other plate the assembly went very smooth. You lose the rear card bracket but unless you really move things around a lot it's not an issue.

Some people complain about the cost of the TechStation but when you figure how much time you spend on the design, getting the parts and building your own it's a relative bargain.

If I had more free time and a shop to build things in I would definitely build my own but until then the TechStation is a great deal for me.

I started building mine today (took a day off work so I had to keep myself busy)

Started with some 18mm MDF I had leftover from building my Subwoofer Enclosure, some "whatever thickness it was" dowel, a bunch of "Wallgrabber" screws (really wide thread, 'bites' really well) and a shop full of power tools :-)

I cut the dowel to length (I already have the MDF cut to the right size, I'm quick like that):

thumb_IMG_1915.JPG

using the top shelf as a square edge to get the dowels equal length.

Now I've srewed it all together after countersinking the screws for a clean finish. I drilled into the dowels and the shelf so that I don't split anything... this is supposed to be "On The Cheap":

thumb_IMG_1922.JPG

Now I spent about an hour trying to find something to use as motherboard standoffs, toyed with a few things, but I think my best idea, and cheapest, was using a hacksaw to cut some synthetic wine bottle corks into equal sized pieces. I glued them to the board after measuring with my motherboard template (which is spot-on the ATX standard, I used an ATX standard diagram to draw it out) Later when the glue's dry I'll drill a small pilot hole in each one using my template so just about any screw I use will hold a MB in place.:

thumb_IMG_1926.JPG

thumb_IMG_1928.JPG

I'm still toying with some leftovers from other projects and find some 6/32 threaded inserts I was going to use on my acrylic case... screw that (no pun intended) I'm gonna use them for the PCI-Card bracket!

thumb_IMG_1931.JPG

An now the PCI bracket (carefully measured by holding an old PCI GPU up to it and guestimating the thickness of the MB and Slot) is all clamped together and glue's drying. I'll use nails, staples or an L bracket to secure it tighter when the glue is dry enough.

thumb_IMG_1933.jpg

Roomy enough underneath to fit a PSU sideways and some stacked drives, along with some of the watercooling gear... the Rads goes up top with the MB, Pump down bottom and I'll cut some holes with a hole-saw for cabling etc. I might even paint the whole thing black... or pink... depends on if I'm feeling fruity or not ^^

thumb_IMG_1934.JPG

So what do you guys think so far? This was all done while most of you were fast asleep 6 hours behind us :-)

Ha, I only just realised I did most of it sitting on the floor too, even though there's a workbench in the garage... lol I'm a dork...

Looks great - in fact, much better than mine. My big problem was using 1/2" CDX plywood I had sitting around, so it sarted to warp a little. The only MDF I have is some white laminated stuff I use to take pictures on. That would have looked great, but I can't part with it for now. Maybe if I get a Home Depot gift card for Father's Day I'll use it for that and rebuild mine.

The only MDF I have is some white laminated stuff .

That would most likely be Melamine. Home Depot should have it. Being relatively inexpensive it's a good choice for building these. Pick up some banding for the cut edges and glue it on with contact cement. A roller needs to be used to get a good bond. Instead of buying one for one time use use your wife's baking roller.

I'm gong to do another one. It will only be a single shelf to mount the board on. It's a shelf I had l had left over from another project. A piece of 3/4" and 1/2" MDF glued together and marbleized. I'll post pics when I get a board mounted on it.

Now I spent about an hour trying to find something to use as motherboard standoffs, toyed with a few things, but I think my best idea, and cheapest, was using a hacksaw to cut some synthetic wine bottle corks into equal sized pieces. I glued them to the board after measuring with my motherboard template

Dude, that's an awesome idea. I was wondering how I'd address that problem with my case. Thanks. :D

That would most likely be Melamine. Home Depot should have it. Being relatively inexpensive it's a good choice for building these. Pick up some banding for the cut edges and glue it on with contact cement. A roller needs to be used to get a good bond. Instead of buying one for one time use use your wife's baking roller.

I will do that if I get the funds. ;)

Dude, that's an awesome idea. I was wondering how I'd address that problem with my case. Thanks. :D

I used a spare mobo as a template, and I used plastic bumpers/feet (from Ace Hardware) that are meant for the bottom of small appliances.

I was going to go to the hardware store to get some of those t_ski but I was afraid I'd run into someone from work, and since I was supposed to be sick today :rolleyes: I had to figure something else out, plus there's nothing like free! I'm actually thinking of Hacking an old case apart and mounting the motherboard tray to the top shelf, but that's a later project... I'll stick with what I have so far:

thumb_IMG_1935.JPG

still gotta put the thread inserts in for the PCI bracket, (shoulda done it before I glued it, now I have to cut a piece of wood to fit under the whole thing so I can hammer the threads in without breaking anything ^^) This weekend I'll be transferring my rig over to this thing so I can paint the inside chassis of my Lian Li... fun fun