Techstation on the Cheap ;)

Have you guys ever seen the Techstations on HighSpeedPC.com?

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merch...Code=TopTechSTD

I think they're pretty darn cool, and they come in handy, but I don't have $80 plus shipping to lay down on one. So what's a guy to do? Build one, of course!

I went to my Home Depot and bought some 5/8" square stock (2 x 36"), some rubber feet, a 4-pack of angle brackets and some nylon screws. I then popped over to my local Ace Hardware and picked up three packages of plastic bumpers. I used the assembly instructions from the HighSpeedPC site to figure out how big to make everything. With about 3 hours of work (including planning) I ended up with this:

dsc04815mb8.th.jpg

dsc04816uo7.th.jpg

I had the rest of the parts laying around the shop. I even put a screw in to hold the PCIe card in place :beer

Aside from the parts I already had, I spent about $12. I can't wait until I start getting some parts in to test it out.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, it's pretty much done. The only thing I might add is either some case dampening material or some of that foam sheet stuff they usually put in the bag with a motherboard, and that would go across each of the flat parts. I have the foam stuff laying around, but the case dampening stuff is adhesive-backed, which would save me the trouble of having to use some spray adhesive on it.

Very nice job. I might have to give that a try sometime as I'm running my computer caseless for the moment. It hadn't actually crossed my mind to build it myself. Just think, you could actually buy nicer wood and stuff and sand it and coat it for probably not much more at all and it would look REALLY nice. You did a good job and have given me an idea for something to do over the summer. :D

LOL I've got enough projects to last me the summer, but I thought this might help me out with some heatsink testing I will be doing over the next few weeks. I wanted to use as much stuff that I have laying around as I could. I probably would have used some masonry board instead of the plywood, maybe some nice 1/4" thick stuff. this was a "quick and dirty" job just to knock it out. But I'm glad I've prompted someone else to try and build one of their own. ;)

do you have an old HDD cage laying around? attach it to the underside of the top layer, and make a small shelf with wood for an optical drive...

and you've now inspired TWO people to make one of their own :-)

I'm gonna need something to hold my setup while the case is being painted anyway...

i have been meaning to make one of these for some time. i decided on this thick hard plastic material instead of wood but thats as fas as i have gotten. looks good though