42 replies to this topic

#13 t_ski

t_ski

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2884 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

Well, I haven't forgotten about this project, but I've been so busy I just never got time to finish it up. PLus, I've been testing so many heatsinks and stuff that going back to watercooling would be just a pain. With the looming possibility of testing some new WC gear, I needed to install the ol' loop to get some baseline numbers to reference.

So I took out the fans and built a simple loop with just the Storm, D5 and the Swiftech rad using Tygon 3603.

Posted Image Posted Image

The rad sits on top of the fans on top of the case. I had to go with this method because the openings on the rad for the barbs are a different level than the fan mounting surface. I had a 1/8" shroud I was planning on using, but the wacky M3.5 screws Switech includes weren't long enough.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

That Tygon is so soft and supple, it's hard to work with. Good thing I had the coolsleeves laying around, or my tubes would've been all kinds of kinky (well, except the good kind of kinky). I do still have some MNPCTech mesh I'm planning on using around the rad to tone down the fans, but it has the holes in there to still let some light through.

It would have been nice to have some quick disconnects in there, but the ones I had I never used so I ended up selling them. Plus, I need to figure out how to work it with the back barb being right by the MOSFETs and stuff (probably going to use a 22 degree elbow if I do). Of course, the best part is temps have dropped way down, even on this cool G0 stepping E6850. Idling at roughly room temp, and load is probably only around 32-34 C.

#14 soundx98

soundx98

Insane In The Membrane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16715 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:23 AM

freakin gorgeous dude.
Don't know how I missed this the 1st time.
Kudos!

Insane in the Membrane

#15 t_ski

t_ski

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2884 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:17 PM

Thanks. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to put a window in. I want one, but then again I don't. I had an idea of reusing the mesh fan grill from the top and putting it on the vide to where it could blow cool air onto (or exhaust hot air away from) the video card, then putting a window around that. I definitely don't want a full window, because I don't like the cables and stuff from the bottom showing. At most I'd want a 2/3's window like the ones at Performance PC's:

http://www.performan...oducts_id=21900

#16 HITandRUN

HITandRUN

WTF is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4800 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

Well, I haven't forgotten about this project, but I've been so busy I just never got time to finish it up. PLus, I've been testing so many heatsinks and stuff that going back to watercooling would be just a pain. With the looming possibility of testing some new WC gear, I needed to install the ol' loop to get some baseline numbers to reference.

So I took out the fans and built a simple loop with just the Storm, D5 and the Swiftech rad using Tygom 3603.

Posted Image Posted Image

The rad sits on top of the fans on top of the case. I had to go with this method because the openings on the rad for the barbs are a different level than the fan mounting surface. I had a 1/8" shroud I was planning on using, but the wacky M3.5 screws Switech includes weren't long enough.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

That Tygon is so soft and supple, it's hard to work with. Good thing I had the coolsleeves laying around, or my tubes would've been all kinds of kinky (well, except the good kind of kinky). I do still have some MNPCTech mesh I'm planning on using around the rad to tone down the fans, but it has the holes in there to still let some light through.

It would have been nice to have some quick disconnects in there, but the ones I had I never used so I ended up selling them. Plus, I need to figure out how to work it with the back barb being right by the MOSFETs and stuff (probably going to use a 22 degree elbow if I do). Of course, the best part is temps have dropped way down, even on this cool G0 stepping E6850. Idling at roughly room temp, and load is probably only around 32-34 C.

Looking great SKI! Awesome work!

#17 Guest_Blooz1_*

Guest_Blooz1_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

That's incredible, ski!

The rad almost looks like it's "levitating".

I think you're right about the window size. A smaller window would look great, but a full-size window would be too much on that case. I've seen pics of cases where people made full side panels out of plexi on that series of Lian-Li's (and did a good job), but to me it ruined the whole "look" of the case.

If you had a window that just showed from the GPU-up, it would look great with the lighting from all those fans!

#18 soundx98

soundx98

Insane In The Membrane

• Members
  • 16715 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:55 AM

I definitely don't want a full window, because I don't like the cables and stuff from the bottom showing. At most I'd want a 2/3's window like the ones at Performance PC's:

I'm with you.
Even the 2/3s windows at ppc look "too big" for my taste.
But those Blue LED fans and hoses are screaming for a window.

(Lian-Li rig to t_ski) DUDE! YOU FINALLY FINISH AND NOW YOU WANT ME TO WEAR A CHADOR!
I NEED A SEXY WINDOW TO FULFILL YOUR MANLY NEEDS!

So there you have it.
Done deal.
Can't ignore a case that talks (shouts)

Like a 50-60% window centered on the upper rear of the case :)
maybe somethin' trick.
heard about some "dang t_ski it's uber kewl ZOMG that is so friggin' awesome and l33t" 2-way mirror stuff and you can brush your teeth and come your hair when the rig is off in the mirror. :D

The "levitating" radiator/fan reminds me of a hood scoop.
velly velly nice

Insane in the Membrane

#19 wevsspot

wevsspot

I'm trying to be helpful.... really I am

• 16283 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:00 AM

Very nice work t_ski.
40335406303_9d0700d9e9.jpg

#20 uneedav8

uneedav8

DFI Stormtrooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:54 AM

How much force did it take to remove the cap off of the P5W DH's chipset cooler?

ASUS ROG X79 EXTREME                                                                      EVGA Z97 FTW
i7 3820 @ 4.6                                                                                             i7 4790K
16GB Mushkin Redline 2133mhz                                                          32GB GSKILL 2400mhz
EVGA 680 GTX 4GB FTW+ 4 WAY SLI                                                   PNY Quadro NVS
Patriot Wildfire SSD RAID 0 + 3x 1TB WB BLACK RAID 0                 Samsung EVO Pro 850 RAID 0                  

1600W EVGA PSU                                                                                    PC Power & Cooling 850 PSU
Bigfoot Killer 2100 NIC                                                                            Intel Pro 1000 Server NIC

#21 momoceio

momoceio

Total Nerd

• Folding Member
  • 2919 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:53 PM

I am so going to mod a case now...damnit!
Posted Image

#22 t_ski

t_ski

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2884 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:09 AM

How much force did it take to remove the cap off of the P5W DH's chipset cooler?

That little piece of thin aluminum? Nuttin' at all. Stuck on with double-sided tape, and I just took a screwdriver and lifted one edge, then ripped it off. I did it with the heatsink off, when I did my civic duty and replaced the TIM with some Ceramique. I did the SB heatsink the same way...

#23 schoolslave

schoolslave

=WFC=Belzebuth (MW2)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:25 AM

Are those fans on the radiator pushing or pulling? Im thinking of modding the top of my case too and I was wondering what would work best - push or pull.
GTX680
4Gb Samsung Low Profile
GB Z68 UD3H
SS Strider 1000w

#24 t_ski

t_ski

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2884 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

What works better is to have the cool air go into the case. It you have the hot air exhaust through the rad, you have all the extra case temp to enter the loop. Whether that means pushing or pulling depends on how you stick the rad and the fans. It would be even better to have six fans on the rad - three pushing and three pulling.