I opened the mod shop today

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I finally cut into my Lian Li PC-A10B. I have been disgusted with the lack of radiator support for this case and cut the top to fit my Swiftech MCR320, which is (along with the MCR220) the only rad that lines up with the knock-outs for the tabing from the rad. During this process I have taken out my watercooling and gone back to air. Amazingly (or maybe not so), with just three Yate Loon DSL12's in the top (running on 4 or 5v) the CPU temp has dropped 4-5C degrees, plus I've been able to take out the OCZ XTC ram cooler.

I've got some pics coming, but I just wanted to share what I've got so far...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here are the pics I promised. First up, this is the top of the case. I have it all masked off so I could transfer measurements and make cut lines:

dsc04806ps7.th.jpg

I took it outside and worked it over with the dremel and a cutting wheel, ending up with this:

dsc04807bu7.th.jpg

For the time being, until I can install the water loop again I've got just three Yate Loons installed in there with a RadGrillz on top:

dsc04808is9.th.jpg dsc04813om4.th.jpg

While I had the camera out I took some pics of the noise dampening material I laid down. I felt like I was laying carpet! Shag rug anybody?

dsc04812gm8.th.jpg dsc04811zp4.th.jpg dsc04810mp3.th.jpg dsc04809mi2.th.jpg

I covered the entire PSU area and the entire HDD cage area, as well as the right side panel. I'm still debating on whether or not to mod a window and/or VGA vent into the left panel, so I haven't "shagged" that one yet.

What do you guys think so far?

I love Lian Li cases. I currently own the PC-V1000B case; however, I'm trying to sell it right now to move down to a smaller Lian Li case since I don't need all that room.

Everything looks great so far. A side window is always nice when you're WC'ing so you can look at your loop. However, given that it will be a window it won't be able to dampen the sound as much so you need to take that into consideration. I say leave the side panel like it is for now because you can always go back later and put a window in without having to take apart your whole computer again.

• 3 weeks later...

wow how you manage to stick in a triple up top.

i mean. when i use still using my a10b

just the fan up top was nearly hitting stuff on the board.

now you slap a 30mm rad and fan. lol

Heh-heh I know what you mean. TBH I don't have the rad in there yet. I pulled out the WC to do the mods, and I got some air-cooling to work on for now. When I get the WC back in the rad will be on top of the case - I think you're gonna like it :beer

hah im still gathering parts for a g5 project. but ill check but ever now and thing to look for pics.

getting some scythe kama bays or lianli 3x5" fans in the front will help alot

especially for gfx

i found out the hard way with my 88gtx