Sign in to follow this  
photoguy

Yanked The Golly-geforce

Well, I never knew that the GeForce4 440MX 8X AGP 128DDR was a pile of stuff until I read an article that explained that the MX is a low end chipset, and the TI is where its all at. I thought that I had gotten a good deal on it... $80.00. Upon finding out about its crappiness (only 2 pipelines, c'mon nVidia, its a glorified GF2), I yanked that shingle out of my system. I took it back to Frys, and got an ATI Radeon 9200se for $69.00. While not the best card out there, it still blew away the GeForce. Next step... Does anyone know how to OC the 9200se?

Edited by photoguy

ATI owns nVidia by the way. good call going with a radeon

k. I use RadClocker for overclocking my 9600 pro it's a great program, just puts a clocking tab into the ATI control panel in your icon bar.

Make sure you use the latest ATI drivers with Catylyst 3.9 though it may not work as well with the 9200se's early drivers you'd find on the CD it came with. Here's your link for the RadClocker: click me!

PS - RadLinker is an option too, it replaces some tabs, but the newer version of ATI's drivers are far superior so my recommendation is just going with the simple "radclocker" installation which is under the RadLinker part of the download page. Good luck

uh im sorry but hte gf4 ti series blows the radeon<9500 away

now n dx9 nvidia blows hardcore but thats not the point

Let me just clarify that I didn't used to be anti nVidia, I've used their cards for years. They just P'*d me off by peddaling their MX cards as a hot item and not making it clear that there is not much difference between a GF2 32 MX, and a GF4 128 MX. For example, when I played Need For Speed Underground with the GF4 128 MX, half of the video options were unavailable. When I plugged in the ATI 9200se, all of a sudden I had motion blur, light trails, crowd of people at the starting line and finish line etc... and some awesome FPS as well. It was like an enhanced version of the game. My advice to GeForce buyers, make sure you get the Ti not the Mx. Better yet, get an ATI. Perhaps ATI should pull the Mx series from nVidias line-up.

Thanks IUMaestro for the radclocker link. I still need to install the latest Catalyst driver, and I will give it a try...

Do I need to uninstall the the Radeon driver first, then install the Catalyst driver?

(then Radclocker)?

wait wait wait. hold on killer. You think the gf4 blows the 9500 away? hahaha man u are seriously funny. a 9200 ok i could agree but a 9500 don't think so.

a geforce4 ti does blow a 9500 away... not softmodded though cause then thatd be a 9700. the 9500 without softmod is pitiful if u ask me

Ummm let me see in a dx9 game id take a 9600 pro over a gf4 ti 4600 (agp 8x version just for laughs and kicks) now a 9500 is actualy a bit better from the benchmarks that ive seen so hmm which do u think id take out of the three?

the 9500 actually pulls better benches then the 9600 running on 4 pipelines. now if you were to take the 9500 older series which actaully had 4 ectra pipline that u could unlock well... I wont go there but i think we know where it stands.

youve seen a 9500np beat a 9600pro? I gotta see this to believe it, ive built 2 comps with a 9600pro and my own with a 9500np and i tested them.. the 9600 pro gets better scores in 3dmark01/03. show me where u found the 9500np beating a 9600pro

the 9600pro has 400mhz on 4 pipes the 9500np has 275mhz on 4 pipes

the 9600pro has 600mhz on 128bit memory the 9500np has 540mhz on 128bit memory

Edited by Ziggy54354

ok ziggy your compairing the stock speeds on a overclockers site. what purpose do those have for us. its not always the speed of the core and mem that count. Look at nvidia's cards their core and mem speeds are greater than ATI's so why does ATI beat them. its about the architecture also man. Why does a P4 EE beat a P4 standard. Cause it will have more cache closer to the cpu thus giving it a good steady flow of info. It doesn't have to reach as far to grab info. 9500 will out preform a 9600. either of the two will out perform a gf4 ti bottom line. Do any of us really care what the stock speeds of those cards are no. We care what the potential we can get from them is.

Since this forum is on the Nvidia Chip sets .... what about the FX sereies or is that a bogus one also ...

I have the FX5200 128meg. over clock core 333 / mem 433 now to me it does pretty well while playing raven shield. but if there ia a better one for around the same price oh hell yea i am going for it !