Sign in to follow this  
JackOrlowski

Quadro FX1400 vs GeForce 8800 GTS

Im putting together 2 workstations for some friends who have a small interior design shop that uses AutoCAD, photoshop, illustrator, as well as a couple of other 3d apps and all the normal office programs. They will not be upgradeing to vista in the foreseeable future. They currently are using very old OCed Athlon K7 and AGP Matrox dual head cards. They are semi tech savvy and set the budget for the video card in the mid range @ $3-400, expressing interest in the 8800 GTS series. I had heard about the Quadro series but hadn't looked into pricing, now when I look at the prices on newegg a Quadro with 128MB is going for about $350 and the 8800 GTS w/ 640MB is about the same. Is there any advantage to the 8800 GTS and all its RAM over the FX1400 with its dual head workstation pedigree?

Since the Quadro series (as well as ATI's FireGL series) are made for such use with programs as Maya and AutoCAD, I think it would be in the best interest of your friends to purchase the Quadro. I don't know how much the memory size will affect it... but I thought of the 8800GTS 320 and 640MB versions. From what I see and hear, the extra memory doesn't make much of a difference unless you run higher resolutions and such.

For those programs, I would get a quadro or fire gl series. I would not get a gaming card cause those are made to give a quality image under 3d performance. Workstation graphics are all about line quality and precision.....plus the driver is optimized for those programs, usually has a control panel that has setting for all the CAD/3D programs and plug-ins etc.

For those programs, I would get a quadro or fire gl series. I would not get a gaming card cause those are made to give a quality image under 3d performance. Workstation graphics are all about line quality and precision.....plus the driver is optimized for those programs, usually has a control panel that has setting for all the CAD/3D programs and plug-ins etc.

I'll jump in here and second uneedav8's sentiments. Two different animals.

Spend their limit's for a decent Quadro or FireGL with as much ram as they're willing to afford and pump 'em if there's a decent model directly above the pricing point/limit.

Assuming they're using quality monitors to match one of the above cards abilities and they're critical of what they do, they'll thank you for it.

Edit: Might even find out what program they do use and check for suppport/compatability betweenst them.