2900XT can't take the top spot

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ok i was under the impression that those weren't for release. ( In NZ we can only get a hold of the 512 model.)

Us Joe Six Pack ends users can't get the 2900XT OEM cards in the states either. Only system integrators can.

A retail version of the card that uses the GPU cooler the 512Mb cards use now is coming in a few weeks.

Viper

its funny how a 750 core ultra beats a 975 core 2900, is that just the different architecture?

You are only reffering to the core ROP (Raster Operations) clock on the G80. The core shader clock is

running 1836 which is 85% faster than the 2900XT's in my tests.

The 1188Mhz GDR3 memory on the 8800Ultra also has a lot more bandwidth than the 1197Mhz GDR4

on the 2900 because the GDR3 is running a hell of a lot tighter timings that the GDR4.

Viper

Guest element

Yeah we need some independent testing that doesn't try to warp the tests and uses something other than 3dmark.

TBH most people seem to be holding that up as the main standard when trumpeting this card or that. It's a steamy pile and only useful to check if your VGA is stable.

Yeah we need some independent testing that doesn't try to warp the tests and uses something other than 3dmark.

TBH most people seem to be holding that up as the main standard when trumpeting this card or that.

It's a steamy pile and only useful to check if your VGA is stable.

The benchmarks are not a steamy pile. They are tools and the only standards that are consistent if

they are run at the defaults. Generally there are just WAY to many variables with game tests.

Viper

check this out http://www.extreme-pc.ca/showproduct.asp?m...roductid=371414

if u click on the benchmark scores, it got a screen shot with cpuz. even concidering the Ghz on cpu it still looks more promising on the amd-ati end.

green

Oh the 2900's have the stones to score in the benchmark. What I can't believe is the price they are asking for the

card and can only hope those a Canuck dollars. That would be $615us if they are and you can buy an 8800 Ultra

from newEgg right now for $669 and it will eat that card for lunch then spit out the bones when you stock OC both

cards..

nVidia just announced they are dropping the wholesale price of the Ultra 90 bucks too and I do not think that is

showing up in the retail prices yet.

Viper

imagine how much less flaming and ranting there'd be on the forums if ATI released the 1GB GDDR4 card at the 512MB price point or a touch higher. a pipe dream i know but how many countless nV flamers would have to do something else with their time ;)

im no financial analyst by any means but AMD surly would have sold twice as many cards as they have and might have made up for the cost in volume sales.

I don't believe it has much to do with flaming. I'd buy two 1GB 2900 cards today if the performance was there. But the fact of the matter is on the top end ATI is a distant second.

until drivers mature there won't be too many buying these cards other than those of us that understand such things, or those of us that still think the card is a bargain, or those of us who just got to have ATI ;)

i9 hope its drivers being a 2900xt man myself. i find it dishearting that there was really no noticeable performance increase from the 8.37 driver to CCC 7.5. at least in the tests that i did with 3dmark06 and HL2 Ep1 bench.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=260832