HD2900XTs available two days early at ZZF

What's the difference between the two :confused:

Apart from $25 lol

I think the HIS has a quieter cooler.

I ordered one. :/

I see myself regretting this, but maybe not... :sweat:

EDIT: Ehh.... never mind. I canceled the order. That was a stupid impulsive decision. :shake:

Haha may need a new power supply though?

Probably would have too. I'm now torn between it and the 8800GTS640. One review says the HD2900XT performed better and one review said the 8800GTS640 performed better.

But assuming they're equal performance, the 8800GTS640 is cheaper... :tooth:

I still want to buy one now but I'll probably wait till after Monday, I've been reading around the web the last few days with results and well I guess we can't really tell right now since the sample drivers are not peforming to great just as when the 8800 came out.

Another thing is you need a 8pin and 6pin pcie and to overclock in the CCC panel, I'm guessing you can get that one AMD/ATI overclocking program to get around this for now.

I think the real thing thats holding me back is will my Maze 4 bolt right on. It looks like it will and I hope it does.

Guest SPQQKY

You'd have to be a real fan of ATi to drop $400 on a card that doesn't perform as well as an 8800GTS in 95% of games. I have seen only a few tests that show this card running better and that was only some 3DMarks, most games are favorable to the 8800's. Overclocking wise, they don't seem to scale as high as some had hoped either, the few that have these cards as well as the XTX say that the XT's clock just as high as the XTX. So if you are going to buy the new ATi cards, the XT is the one......but I'd save $100-125 and get an 8800GTS.

I'm not really into the graphics world right now, but shouldn't driver support be a bit iffy? I would think AMD wouldn't have all the drivers ready. I also thought that the card didn't necessarily require the 8 pin connector, just like on motherboards where you can plug in a 4-pin power connector for the CPU when a lot of them have an 8-pin configuration.

AMD/ATi have been charging extra for the XTX when an ordinary XT could easily clock up to XTX speeds ever since what, the X1900 days. Cept with the X1900 XTX, you got 1.1ns memory as opposed to the 1.2ns memory found in the XTs, so maybe there was a little benefit there.

1300th post!

The only place I've really seen in-game peformance is from IT-review but at the conclusion of their first test (using a AMD rig?) they mentioned how Company of Heroes was high but was the opposite with the rest was most likely driver issue. If you read more on other places people talk about the 8.38 drivers giving a peformance boost and we don't know what drivers they used for their testing.

Theres a ton of 3dmark scores around but I would also like numbers for games, I think its just immature drivers just like the 8800 in the beginning, I'll still gamble my chances on the card though, its just asking my parents to actually let me spend my money that will be hard. :D

As for the pcie connectors you don't need a 8pin to just use it, but to overclock via overdrive it will detect if you have a 8pin connected or not, if not it will stay disabled.

Guest SPQQKY

I've read a multitude of reviews lately and most are quite disappointed in the card. Good praise in some areas, but overall not worth the long wait.

I always hear how that next driver will boost performance. ATi drivers usually offer very little boosts and it usually takes a good six months to a year to get the most out of their drivers.

I dunno, it's still a bit early to make a bullheaded decision, but I sure am not impressed. Sadly for ATi it isn't making the impact the 8800 series did. Hopefully ATi/AMD is a bunch quicker on their next release.

ive read many reviews that in the few DX10 tests that there are, (vista standard graphic tests etc.) that the 2900XT sometimes even trumps a 8800GTX...and since its a DX10 card i think real opinions should only be made once there are actual games for DX10...if in 1 year all games will be dx10 whats the point of basing opinions on DX9?

Seems ATI has driver issues at the mo' giving results that can show turning on AA+AF giving "better" performance. On the whole the 2900XT seems to have a slight advantage over the 8800GTS