New Computer Help!

Guest Recon_merged

Guest Recon

Building a new computer need advice/ assistance.

Components:

• Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
  • Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5600CZBOX
  • Memory: OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N10662GK
  • Hard Drives: Dual: Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
  • Power Supply: Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply
  • Case: Antec Performance One P180B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4 x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • CD/ DVD Drive: LITE-ON Combo Drive Black SATA Model SHC-52S7K-05
  • Video Card: EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
  • Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card

Concerns:

• Power
  • Cooling
  • Case Size
  • Compatibility

-Please help, advise, comments, recomendations. I'm sort of new at this so need all the help I can get. Thanks

-Recon

My first thought is the PSU while it is a worthy power supply, for what you have I think, IMHO, I would get something bigger....It will probably run 1 card, but with what you are putting together there I think I would go bigger especially if I were gonna overclock it....Give myself a bit of breathing room...:rolleyes:

You haven't mentioned any of your cooling... also you'll want a little more from a PSU than what you got there... other than that, it all looks good... compatability isn't an issue as AFAIK... and the case size is more than adequate...

Power-Trust me, it's worth the money. You'll thank yourself for this.

CoolingWith a 60 cfm or higher fan, the best aircooler on the market today.

Case SizeHuge, cheap, sturdy, and extremely easy to work with. 2 cons, no 120mm case fan slots, front flaps a little weak.

Compatability...unless you're willing to go Intel, your future upgrade paths are limited, and C2D isn't much better that way, just better cpu's, especially with the 680i chipset.

For use as a current system, compatability is not an issue here. You've got a good array of hardware, and it'll serve you well. AM3 backwards compatability is still a crapshoot as to if it will work in the AM2 boards, whereas the next gen of Intels will be 775, as far as I know.

I think, if you consider the products listed here, you'll have a nice machine for anything but the heaviest of workloads(nuclear virtual testing, etc, hehe). Just make sure you get good stuff the first time, it's less expensive than buying junk, and then replacing.

Guest Recon

Thanks for ths help guys... Technohydra the cooling that you had linked, is it AM2 compatable?

-Recon

They do have the AM2 adapter.

@Techno....that PSU is sweet. It took me a minute to realize the difference between that and the GameXstream 700w (besides a mere 20w). Then I saw it was modular! That's the one thing I wish my PSU had was the modular cabling.

hey man, i hope you follow this advice.

get a lower end x2, honestly if a fsb limitation is not in the equation than they all clock relatively the same, its all luck and stepping.

next, if your gonna run a 500w anted with that system it should be the truepower.

your system wont require anything amazing as far as power goes. Just get a solid psu from a solid company, good rails and 500w + is great. (id go for around 600w is i was you.)

Guest Recon

Thanks for all the advice guys... should be done in a short time now maybe I will post the result and final choices etc...

Thanks again guys

I'll admit the PC P&C is the best PSU on the market, but the reason for the OCZ is the modular cabling support. The Thermalright 120 Extreme comes with an AM2 and 775 mounting braket, so no worries there.

As far as getting a high/low end X2, do what you want. Some get low end X2, and they clock just fine, some don't clock up at all, and the same goes for the high end stuff. 5600+? Looks fine to me.

Also, reason for the psu recommendation is that it's about the most important secondary component in the system, and it affects everything else by a lot. It also determines the stability of power signal you get, and that's huge.