Sign in to follow this  
soundx98

A camera called RED

Not sure if you have heard about this but I think it could be very important.

A camera company called RED gave it’s two prototype “Ultra-High Definition Cameras” (named Boris and Natasha) to Filmmaker Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) two weeks before the NAB show. Jackson came back with a 12 minute film on WW1 at NAB that stunned the Video attendees.

The resolution on these cameras is just so much better than anything previously available. You’ve heard of 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p? How about a resolution of 4540 by 2560.

Yes we’re talking 2560P here. Also becoming known as 4K.

It’s affordable even for the independent film maker at $17,500 (accessories bring that total up fast). Jackson proclaimed it a revolution in film-making.

“Wait a minute Carl” you say. Aren’t you the oldfaht who argued with us saying that people can’t even see 1080p unless it’s a 50” or bigger screen viewed from 10 feet away. And weren’t you the guy chastising the satellite and cable companies for not being able to broadcast more than 1080i due to technology limitations and accused them of limiting the signal quality?

Where does it fit in with this CEDIA thing if it can’t work with Blu-Ray or HDD?

Seems like SONY and the other Motion Picture companies would like us “back” in the Theaters. And Theater owners are missing the moolah they are used to making off the packed house and all the concession goodies we consume.

What better way than to entice us with something we can’t get at home. SONY& already has a 4K projector (about $100,000). They used them (even though they were loafing along) at the Spiderman Premier theaters. Spiderman grossed over 367 Million in it’s 1st 6 days worldwide. It’s all about the money, honey :D

Theater Owners are already talking about restaurants with decent food you can take in to munch on, reservations, drinks, and technology to prevent cell phones from ringing.

One of the first of these new “Hi-Def” theaters will be built in Gurnee, Illinois.

I can only assume the new theaters will require even more elaborate sound systems. Could be a wonderful experience for video and audiophiles!

go to www.red.com for more info

< snip > Could be a wonderful experience for video and audiophiles!

I would imagine quite expensive too! The cost of the equipment and manpower have to be recuperated somehow and the only place it's going to come from is consumer's pockets.

Oh c'mon Ace.

You'd be one of the first in line :)

And I'd be right behind ya.

dude..seriously...where have you been hiding...?

this is great news...I really enjoy movie theater flicks..this could be awesome..;)

Theater Owners are already talking about restaurants with decent food you can take in to munch on, reservations, drinks, and technology to prevent cell phones from ringing.

I read not too long ago that some company had come up with a paint that had certain properties which could block cell phone signals. The article was talking about how theatres could use this to help control cell phone usage during movies.

i know there is some theaters where they have waitresses and waiters and a full menu of food.

They seem to work pretty well, you just have to control the timing.

I agree, need better movies though.

Sounds cool though. I wish our (mine and carl's) theater was nicer.

Tech is AWESOME, but you need BETTER movies AND tech to put asses in the seats.

yep

last movies we saw in a Theater were Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia.

movies are almost all pure crap...nothing but special effects, no good plots, no good acting (that one with Jack Nicholson and Leonardo DiCrappio The Departed was great, but that was a Scorsese film so of course it would be all story and great acting).

If Hollywood would put out something I actually wanted to see, I'd go to the theater instead of Netflix or waiting for it on HBO.

yep

last movies we saw in a Theater were Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia.

movies are almost all pure crap...nothing but special effects, no good plots, no good acting (that one with Jack Nicholson and Leonardo DiCrappio The Departed was great, but that was a Scorsese film so of course it would be all story and great acting).

If Hollywood would put out something I actually wanted to see, I'd go to the theater instead of Netflix or waiting for it on HBO.

Are you honestly telling me you thought Borat was unintelligent? :D

I'm a big movie fanatic myself though. I seem to be good at finding the good ones. I can't imagine why after a certain point you'd ever need to go to a higher resolution, though. After UHDV, what's next? There's such thing as a Planck length after all. :tooth: