Ballistix PC4000 Settings

Having trouble OCing. Your BIOS is too different from the SLI-DR one.

Is there any other way I can OC this without learning how to OC myself?

I never had the board you do, but a few suggestions. Do read the OC guide(s). Memory voltage @ 2.8v. HTT multiplier function at 3 initially. Memory divider at 166 possibly 133. That should allow you to push the HTT above 250.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I'm on 7/04-2BTA BIOS with the optimized settings...

Genie BIOS Settings:

FSB Bus Frequency - 200

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio - AUTO

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio - AUTO

PCI eXpress Frequency - 100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value - Auto

CPU VID Control - Auto

CPU VID Special Control - Auto

LDT Voltage Control - 1.20v

Chip Set Voltage Control - 1.50v

DRAM Voltage Control - 2.6v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set - Auto

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Auto

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - Auto

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - Auto

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - Auto

Row precharge time (Trp) - Auto

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 12 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 24 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 03 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 3120

DRAM Bank Interleave - Disabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Auto

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Auto

Max Async Latency - Auto

DRAM Response Time - Normal

Read Preamble Time - Auto

IdleCycle Limit - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x

Bypass Max - 04 x

32 Byte Granularity - Disable(4 Bursts)

I'll try to help you with the limited ability I have, & unfamiliarity with the DFI BIOS.

FSB Bus Frequency - 200 = HTT ( I hit 325. YMMV.)

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio = 3x or 4x. Try the lower value first.

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio = 166

DRAM Voltage Control = 2.8v

DRAM Frequency Set = Manual

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) = 2.5

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) = 4

Row precharge time (Trp) = 4

Min RAS# active time (Tras) = 10

Command Per Clock (CPC) = 1T

We have the same memory, I'm stating what worked for me, our motherboards are different.

puzzled, I don't remember, but do you have the TD or TD1 sticks? 325MHz seems awfully high for a set of 5B-F.

@Xolias: leaving these at "auto" probably would affect your stability. If you know the max of your 3700, it would help a bit in overclocking this too. Since the 3700 has a high multiplier of 11, you might not need a divider.

Whenever I overclock, I keep the timings relaxed at first before I start tightening them. But that's up to you.

The secondary timings you can probably tweak yourself to find the best range. I used 3-3-6-3 and am currently using it right now. I had stability, though, with 3-6-3-3 due to an error I made, so maybe I just got lucky. As for the TRC and TRFC, I used 7 and 14 I believe... going higher didn't help me at all. Tref, I found stability was best with 4708. For drive strength, I normally use 5 or 8; Data Drive Strength, Level Two I believe; Max Async, 8 ns; and Read Preamble, 5 to 5.5ns.

Sorry for the cluttered response. That's what works for me. You have to tweak this kit a lot for stability. I spent about half a day finding the right combo of settings that would work for me.

puzzled, I don't remember, but do you have the TD or TD1 sticks? 325MHz seems awfully high for a set of 5B-F.

I don't know. How can I check? I ordered them from NewEgg & was not aware that there were choices. I have to swap video cards out of that rig in to an Abit AN832-SLI later this week so I can check when I'm in there.

I don't know. How can I check? I ordered them from NewEgg & was not aware that there were choices. I have to swap video cards out of that rig in to an Abit AN832-SLI later this week so I can check when I'm in there.

It would be the last few numbers of your serial number on the sticks.

It's not necessarily .TD1; it can be a lot of other things. As long as it's not 16.TD, you're fine. I'm just saying because I've never seen 5B-F clock as high as the 5B-D chips, and the 5B-D chips were the ones that were capable of hitting DDR600 and beyond speeds. Not that it's likely, though.

Damn nice set of 5B-F you got there then.

It looks like I was fortunate enough to get memory, cpu, & motherboard that were all above average. This is the 1st time that I've ever been able to replicate or exceed someone's results. I've lost count on how many builds I've done over the last 7-8 years, but it's in the 9-10 range. I'm very happy with the results. The only other thing I could do is improve the cooling, but I'm not sure I would gain anything other than lower the temperature.

Now I need a good overclocking guide for the DDR2 system.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to retest the Ballistix DDR over the next few days. If it performs better than the G.Skill F1 PC3200 I will keep it in the system. If not, it goes in to my Linux system. The G.Skill is running DDR522 with timings of 2.5-3-3-6-1T @ 2.8v.