Digital Camera

Guest Neezer_merged

Guest Neezer

I am looking to buy a new digital camera. I have done a little bit of research, but I am asking for opinions here. I went to a camera store here in minneapolis, and best buy. Both places recommended this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16830111065

I will use it primarily for hiking and skiing in the mountains. Are there any other cameras that I should look at? I have a best buy gift card, so I would probably buy it there. I know they have a price match guarantee, but does that work with newegg stuff? At best buy it was 379.

This camera is waterproof and shock proof!!!

Guest anewb ie

If you can mangae the size I'd go for one of the low end slr. The quality (even the 6mp cameras) is way better.

If you can mangae the size I'd go for one of the low end slr. The quality (even the 6mp cameras) is way better.

You are correct, but "hiking and skiing" and SLR is a problem. Portability and compactness is the biggie ... my guess. I have a Rebel and it is wonderful ... but I hate carrying it around ... so I don't.

You are correct, but "hiking and skiing" and SLR is a problem. Portability and compactness is the biggie ... my guess. I have a Rebel and it is wonderful ... but I hate carrying it around ... so I don't.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to go hiking or skiing with my dSLR. The camera you linked to is pretty decent as Canon makes pretty quality products.

Guest Neezer
Yeah, I wouldn't want to go hiking or skiing with my dSLR. The camera you linked to is pretty decent as Canon makes pretty quality products.

I linked to an Olympus.....I have been reading stuff that say that you don't need more than 4 or so megapixels....what do you guys know about this? My dad told me that I didn't need more than 4 or 5....but I figure "what does he know" He did buy a slr a while ago, and he did a lot of research on the matter though....

i have also been reading reviews about it that say it is slow to write to the card. But it does seem ideal for what I need, and the megapixels will be good to zoom in on a mountain or something while I am skiing. Plus I think having more pixels is never a problem. It just expands your options.

no it wont work with newegg and you should 100 percent just buy from the egg as they are way better

I have a 100 dollar gift card form my graduation for best buy. Unless the egg will honor that, I kinda have to go through best buy.

It depends an how big your gonna want the pictures when they get printed as to how many Mp you need. If its standard 4x6 then 3mp is plenty if its A4 sized then 5-6mp. I have an old Fujifilm 2mp and I see zero difference at normal photo size (4x6) than the wife's 4mp. I guess its like G/cards and monitor size, No point in running an 8800/640 on a 15inch CRT.

If you're going to go hiking or skiing, you going see a lot of great scenery. If you see a lot of great scenery, you'll want to preserve it in the highest quality. Get an DSLR. I've hiked and skied with SLR all the time. Sure it's a little heavier but hey the resulting images are always worth it.

Guest Neezer
If you're going to go hiking or skiing, you going see a lot of great scenery. If you see a lot of great scenery, you'll want to preserve it in the highest quality. Get an DSLR. I've hiked and skied with SLR all the time. Sure it's a little heavier but hey the resulting images are always worth it.

I will probably start looking for a SLR for my hiking trips in a year or so when I have some money saved up. but right now there is now way I could afford more than 400. I also want something durable. that is why I linked the stylus 770.

Thanks angry. I will look for those threads.