Help me hit 300!

Guest Jakalwarrior_merged

Guest Jakalwarrior

This is what is stable. Going for 300 I tried just generally loosening all the timings (IE, 1s to 2, 2s to 3, 3sto 4, except I MUST keep 1t ;).

Pretty much a no go though. Gets hung up in test 5 of memtest.

Its got to be some of the lesser timings that I don't have a feel for that are holding me up.

What about drive strength? there are two drive strength settings one is for DDR and the other for DDR DQ or something. One has auto, normal, weak. The other has percentages going up to 50%.

I know TCCD and TCC5 runs best on weak but messing with the DQ one seems to either make me not post or just not help.

Blah, Ive got a lot to learn on this new board. Having a lot of fun tweaking though.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/...%20Pics/286.JPG

I tried following some DFI guides on TCCD but pretty much following their advice I can't get it to post. Mine doesn't seem to mind being tightish on the main timings but if I follow their advice on all the little advanced timings everything goes to crap. Also they generally run their TRC and TRFC much tighter than mine likes.

Essentially though everything is golden with a lot of play room on all the timings until I get close to 300. Then it seems no matter what I do I can't make it happy.

*edit* updated to latest bios. Ran some more testing. 285 is stable in memtest but NOT in windows. Blue screens randomly. Am back down to 270.

*yes I have had this to 300+ before, on the ASrock at 2t. Switching between 1t and 2t on this setup though seems to have 0 impact on my stability (the ASrock hated 1t though, which is why I switched).

Take a look at the screenie below:

thumb_3G-Latest.JPG

The setting you can't see there is DDS, which is 6. So although it's usual for TCCD to need DDS at 7 and DDDS at 2, some like mine like much more aggressive settings. If you are after 300, then defo give the settings on my screenie a try. My ram voltage is 2.7v, although your's might need more.

Guest Jakalwarrior

My bios isn't quite the same and lacks some settings. Still working on figuring out which ddr drive setting is the real one since neither show any difference in a64 tweaker.

Ive pretty much given up though. I think my memory controller sucks. I can hit 320+ using 2t but for real.... at 1t... 270 is memtest stable but just finished repairing my windows install because of it. I'm back down to 250.

Does the drive strength make that much difference? enough difference that I wouldn't be able to pass 250 without changing it?

Does the drive strength make that much difference? enough difference that I wouldn't be able to pass 250 without changing it?

DDS,DDDs, Mal, Rp and Tref are THE most important secondary ram settings. Just get one of them wrong and your clock will not play ball(as you've found out). Getting them right is down to looking in the OCDB to see what other peeps use with the same setup as yourself, also a lot of trial and error. Getting the ram right is the single most important part of getting a good stable clock.

Guest Jakalwarrior

Sadly there is about nada on my board in the database :( no one with the exact same board and the people with similar bios (Infinity) arent over DDR500 (Even auto works at that speed for me).

Here is all I have to work with in secondary timings.... I think I MAY have 270 stable though. With the settings shown here. Made a pass of test 5 and half a pass of test 8 (Then I got bored). *edit* NOT stable at all. Can pass memtest test 5 and 8 round after round but take it into windows and it BSODs before it can load OR it makes instant memory errors in the windows memtest I have (slightly dif timings). Back to 250 I guess.

Ramstuff.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jakalwarrior

Yes, no luck though :( . I think im going to have to RMA this board though. It likes to randomly just power off when stressed for a while at all stock settings and with VERY acceptable temps (during typical gaming). Acts like an overheat shutdown but happens at ~40*C on the proc and ~55*C on the gpu.