Sign in to follow this  
THEnumber337

How Many Optical Drives Do You Actually Use?

77 members have voted

1. 1.

• 5 or more

Why don't you install the DVD-ROM drive from the external case into your tower? ;)

Unless you have another computer you also use it with. :rolleyes:

I don't have a tower, for starters, I don't have any case right now XD

Second I'm not really sure how to go about doing that and I don't want to screw it up.

I am using 2 burners in my main rig and 1 in each of the other rigs. I guess it's just an old habit to have a few in there but the one in the stacker looked lonely in that huge case.

I don't have a tower, for starters, I don't have any case right now XD

Second I'm not really sure how to go about doing that and I don't want to screw it up.

Sorry I didn't realize you didn't have a case for your computer, and I'm tossing out 6 cases this Tuesday. Half of them are 10 bay cases with room for 4 optical drives. I don't think any of these would do you any good, they're Gateway proprietary cases where the holes in the back only fit the motherboard they came with. As long as it's working that's all that matters, even if it is in pieces on the bench.

External drives are simply cases with internal drives mounted in them with an interface to convert to USB. I would lay money on the fact that you have a standard PATA drive inside of that case. As fast as USB 2.0 is, it's still not as fast as a standard IDE channel. This means you would get better performance from that drive if you removed it from the case and connected it directly to your motherboard.

But then again, it's all up to you and how you want to do things. ;)

I use 2 drives, one ROM and one burner.

Ripping CDs on the double and burning on the fly.

I use my ROM drive for daily gaming and such.

Sorry I didn't realize you didn't have a case for your computer, and I'm tossing out 6 cases this Tuesday. Half of them are 10 bay cases with room for 4 optical drives. I don't think any of these would do you any good, they're Gateway proprietary cases where the holes in the back only fit the motherboard they came with. As long as it's working that's all that matters, even if it is in pieces on the bench.

Well see I'm actually building a case out of wood, and I had to hack up my old case for dimensions. I have another case, but it's a mid-tower I can't do anything with. :D

Good tip on the DVD-RW thing though. It's something I'll probably look into.

Just recently I started only using one drive in each computer, I used to always have a burner and a reader but I hardly ever had to copy anything anyways so it wasn't really worth it.

I use only one DVDRW and I make or try and make images of my games and just use virtual CD drive's.

Same here. I almost always make an ISO out of data discs and I rip audio CDs in high quality MP3. I used to rip them in APE format but APEs don't work in anything other than Winamp, and that includes my MP3 player.

Guest Pyro

One drive for me... I don't personally really see a need for more than one. The only game I play that requires a disk is BF2 so I'm OK with one.

Here's a little tip for ya Pyro, If you download Alcohol 52% (free) and start the image making wizard for BF2 disk 1 and then on the third error stop the process and "don't delete" the files when it asks, then you end up with a 2 or 3 Mb iso than can be used as a nocd for BF2 in the virtual CDROM that alcohol gives you. :)

2 Opticals in my sigrig

Pioneer DVD-120S Slot-Load DVD-ROM and a Sony DRU-800a DVD+-R/RW DL

Got the slot drive since it's easier for watching movies; but it's starting to act up a bit (sometimes ejects the disk when I insert it, but works the 2nd time)

I primarily use the Sony for making backup disks.

Guest Pyro
Here's a little tip for ya Pyro, If you download Alcohol 52% (free) and start the image making wizard for BF2 disk 1 and then on the third error stop the process and "don't delete" the files when it asks, then you end up with a 2 or 3 Mb iso than can be used as a nocd for BF2 in the virtual CDROM that alcohol gives you. :)

Thank you for that tip, I will get to it when I have time and let you know the results. That will keep my disc from getting so scratched up.

Thanks again for the tip :)