Sign in to follow this  
Booster

Crucial Ballistix PC8000 or Ballistix Tracer PC8500

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting new ram to see if I can do any better with my overclock. The two choices are here.

Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC8500 $175 After rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820148070

Or

Crucial Ballistix PC8000 $131 After rebate

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?sc...92&RSKU=BA23792

Is it worth the extra $44 bucks for something a bit faster and eye candy? Do you think because the higher rated one could be binned better? Over at XS forums theres a thread and it looks like the Tracer's are clocking very high but I haven't kept up with the regular Ballistix.

Some input be helpful, thanks guys.

I'd get the ballistix regular.

The difference between DDR1000 and DDR1066 is very small. Right now, I'm at around DDR950. My next step is DDR11** - something ridiculously high that I'll never be able to run. If my motherboard had 90 different memory dividers, maybe this would be useful. But it doesn't, so even if the memory can do higher, I'm stuck with what I have, and you may be too. Even if the memory will go higher, will the CPU? If it will go higher, will it make a difference in performance worth $44? IMO, hell no.

Also, the tracer memory has LEDs.. that's almost as bad as putting "extreme" or "OVERCLOCKERZ" in the title.

Hmm a bit late but I got the Tracers, last tuesday newegg slapped on a extra $30 off on the ram but the following day after I ordered it they had the PC8000 for like $94 bucks after rebate. :(

Anyways just like you said Thasp I'm pretty much maxed with my CPU and I still can't get past 300HTT so I'm doing 280x10 but at least I can do it with a 400 divider.

As for the LED's its not that bad if I knew what the red and green ment, maybe read and write but the "ground effects" are just to bright. Oh well still amazing stuff, better than my OCZ Gold in OC but it can't do 1T like the gold can.

Sign in to follow this