Anyone using a Tuniq tower with the DQ6?

Hey guys, got my parts tonight and ran into my first snag. The tuniq tower doesnt seem to fit because on the bottom of the gigabyte dq6 mobo are some gold metal pieces that wont let me get close enough to tighten the pins down. On the box it's listed as a generation 2.0 965p dq6, not sure if that means anything or not. I looked at SVC's site as they are who I got the tuniq from hoping to find something about an attachment special for the dq6 but nothing. Thanks for any help!

Well I have a name for the plate that's causing me the problem. Its the "crazy cool" hs. It's preventing me from being able to put the backplate close enough to allow the pins to reach from above. I'm wondering if I should attempt to remove this plate or head down to lowe's and try and get some longer bolts.

You can take that crazy cool heatsink off, or you will need to use longer screws for the backplate. Reading reviews that is the only drawback of the DQ6. I would just remove it carefully, as you can always replace it if you need to.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was able to get the crazy cool hs off of the bottom of the board. Once that was off the tuniq went on without a hitch. Unfortunately I ran out of time before work so I look forward to later on firing this board up for the first time. I understand there are some issues with Raid and this board. I'm hoping to setup a raid 0 with 2 74mb raptors tonight. *Crossing my fingers*

Thanks again for the help!

i wanted to keep the crazy cool plate so i modded the backplate and cut out a hole in my mobo tray. i'm not sure if it would get cooler with the crazy cool or not, but oh well.

anyways...heres a few pics.

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IAmATeaf

WOW that is what I call dedicated and extreme, what did you do about the bolts, I see from the pic that you've put what looks like the mobo standoffs on the CPU back plate.

i did nothing to the bolts, just added longer springs because the bolts wouldn't screw all the way down making the tuniq kind of wiggly. at first, i tried screwing the standoffs into the backplate but the holes on the backplate were too little. i then used a drill to make them bigger, then soldered the standoff to the backplate. the bolts screws into the mobo standoffs nicely.