Swapping CPU's

I have the DFI expert MB with a Opteron 148 OCed to 2.94Mhz and I want to install a Athlon64 4000+ and try OCing it to see which does better. I saved the 148's OC to Reloaded and shut the system down. Then I installed the 4000+ and booted into windows with no problem but when I start to connect to the Internet of start doing anything in a program the system freezes. What could be wrong? Do I have to reset the BIOS with the CMOS jumper before installing the 4000+? I put the 148 back in and the system is doing fine so what did I do wrong?

how do I test the Ram?

You are going to have to adjust some secondary timings.

Everyone's motherboard and cpu behaves differently.

You have a great board that is alot of fun to tinker with and there is no better opportunity.:angel:

good luck.

I had fun getting the 148 to 2.94 and it would go further but I stopped before it got to hot. The Corsair TwinX 2048 XMS3200 memory that I have in it did excellent! Especially for being DDR400. I bought 2 of the expert boards and have both going all the time plus they do a great job of OCing the CPU's that I have used in them. I just hope that after I clear the CMOS that the 4000+ works for me and that it doesn't freeze. Then I can start to OC it and see what it can do. I just can't understand why it froze to begin with unless it is because I didn't clear the CMOS when I installed it.

Plus since I have the 148's OC saved in Reloaded when I reset the CMOS with the jumper will I lose that OC? I need to be sure so I can write all the settings down if I need to.

I have the 148's OC saved in Reloaded when I reset the CMOS with the jumper will I lose that OC? I need to be sure so I can write all the settings down if I need to.

The whole purpose of reload is to avoid all that. The only way your reloads won't be allowed is when you flash to a different BIOS.

Thanks for all the help. I am going to try to get the 4000+ to work for me tomorrow so I will post back then. I sure hope everything goes ok and that it doesn't freeze up on me again. If its ok I'm going to start OCing the 4000+ and will let you know how that goes as well.

So far the 4000+ is running like a dream after clearing CMOS.:cool: I am going to burn in the AS5 with some games then start the OCing process tomorrow. I will keep you informed as to how the progress is going and how high I can get this CPU. Thanks again for the help.

I've got a problem! After doing all that the 4000+ was doing great UNTIL I tried to run a game HL2. I got into the game and about 30 sec. into the game the system froze. I rebooted and tried WOW and it froze too so I rebooted and tried FarCry with the same results. I just have it running at stock setting too. It does everything else fine it just screws up when I try to play a game. So I installed the 148 again just to see how it was with it and it runs the games fine. What can the problem be now?

After I use the jumper to reset the CMOS I will go into the BIOS and save optimized defaults But how do I test the Ram? Do I just run Memtest to make sure the ram is ok with the 4000+?

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. You really need to do some stability testing. I read your other thread and decide to post in this one.

Test your memory by enabling memtest in the BIOS a test #5 and #8 for 10-15 passes each. Then I run all tests a minimum of 10 passes, but often I let it run over night.

Then you need to run Prime95 duel core or Orthos blend test for a minimum of 8hr. The A64 architecture has an integrated DDR memory controller in the processor and is key a feature. Running blend will test the memory controller and CPU together.

Check out Praz’s thread; Stability Testing Programs. You’ll need to test then adjust your settings to get stable.