Sign in to follow this  
DJ2liveGB

XFX 7600GT PCI-E 256MB XXX Edition

I have the above PCI-e card and am having problems with graphic artifacts when playing Fear online. Here are my system specs.

Asus P5VD1-X mobo

Pentium D945 - 3.4GHz dual core processor

2GB SDRAM

500W X-Power PSU

1 x 200GB Maxtor EIDE HDU

1 x 100GB Seagate EIDE HDU

I have let FEAR detect my optimum settings and I am able to play for approx 10 minutes before major graphical glitches, which then either locks the system or reboots it.

Temps under Everest look pretty normal.

Is this card faulty?

Id try and barrow another PSU and rule out yours. As my XFX 7600gtxxx does fear very nice with all settings maxed

The Asus mobo is a bit of a mofo as the PCI-e slot only operates at x4 this is because it is shared with the x8 AGP bus. Could this be a reason as to why it is causing issues?

Guest GripS

Temps OK? If you have Everest installed it 'should' read the temps on the video card.

The pci-e slot should be fine. what speed slot is it? I figured the bandwidth was large enough on pci-e anyway... least for a couple of years?

Id have a look at the psu.

Also i know it sounds silly... all the power connecters plugged in and working? (i say this cos i missed a power connnector on another card once and i took me weeks to work out where the instablility came from lol)

Yes all power cables are connected. The gfx card doesnt require one. The mobo only operates the PCI-e slot at x4 as it is shared with a x8 AGP port. I reckon that it is either a psu issue or the slot. I'm planning on putting my DFI board in to see if that solves the issue. If not then I will get a new psu and case in case it is a heat related issue.

DJ

Yeh temps are between 50C and 53C, so i'm taking that as not being bad.

At what time are you checking those temps? After you quit the game or do you use some kind of logging to check what the temperatures is like under heavy load? If you ALT+TAB to desktop the temps will go down pretty quick. It sounds like a heat issue to me. Does it happen in any other games?

If you're not logging, you could download RivaTuner and let it log the temperatures during a gaming session.

I'll try rivatuner. I've installed 2 new SATA drives and it appears to be more stable at the moment.

I am in the process of moving everything to a DFI Inifinity 975X/G mobo, but one of the sticks of OCZ ram that I have purchased is showing dead, so I need to RMA that before I can successfully complete the build.

Cheers again.