CPU Cooler Questions? Tuniq / Thermalright ?

RobNyc

I'm not a lapping guy :)

Currently typing this from my stuff on my signature :)

Remarkable performance from a machine with no BIOS :D

I'm kidding. Lapping is certainly not necessary by any means unless there is a particularly problematic concavity in the base of the cooler or on the IHS itself.

Lapping the IHS, by the way, is incredibly easy, or at least it was for me. Only took about 10 seconds of 400 and 15 seconds of 600 (I wanted to wear the paper out to get a higher polish) and it was done. Perfectly flat and mirror smooth. But again, it's rarely necessary and usually offers only marginal performance gains.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the bottom of the POST screen you'll see a date, that's your BIOS version.

sorry such an off topic question ..

back to cooling this is the one i have opty 275 HSF = 38c idle in bios

Apr27_0004.jpg

Apr27_0005.jpg

This is a pretty good guide but I'd highly recommend starting lower than 400 grit. I had trouble with 320 even, and used just a little bit of 220 to get out the spot in the middle that the 320 wouldn't get. You can do it with 400 but it'll take hours. It would've taken me an hour with 320.

I also did it differently but his method also works. Also, going over 800 grit is pointless. :D

I had to lap my Tuniq Tower as well it looked like a right shambles when I first got it. I spent about an hour on it I must say with the heat pipes its a real nightmare to hold it level with out putting to much presure on one side.

I went 120, 240, 400, 600, 1200, 1500. I wish I went to 2000 for that final super mirror shine :) but my local car shop didnt have it, plus they looked at me strangley when I explained what I wanted it for lol :eek:

I would suggest praticing on a spare cooler if you have one to get used to it. (interesting note when I lapped the stock 939 cooler to test the lappping I shaved 10-12 degree's off it and has a super mirror finish now my socket 754 rig runs even cooler)

Also I've got a little gallery of pics my GF took whilst I was lapping away, I removed the one where I spilt thermal compound remover all over my trousers :P

http://www.kosch.co.uk/images/tuniq/

For my new C2D setup I'm going to go with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme just to see how different it is, btw anyone know where to get hold of one in the UK?

I spent like 5 mins watching that slow-butt slideshow, saw the "before' pics and kept looking for the "after" pics but never found them...

I can't believe you hyped it but did not deliver, lol.

You could have at least kept the pic with the spilled TIM remover :P

I had to lap my Tuniq Tower as well it looked like a right shambles when I first got it. I spent about an hour on it I must say with the heat pipes its a real nightmare to hold it level with out putting to much presure on one side.

I just stuck my hand in the hole between the base, the bottom fin, and the two rows of heat pipes. I ended up with blisters but it didn't rack much. :P

I spent like 5 mins watching that slow-butt slideshow, saw the "before' pics and kept looking for the "after" pics but never found them...

I can't believe you hyped it but did not deliver, lol.

You could have at least kept the pic with the spilled TIM remover :P

You do know you can click the small thumbnails to view the image rather than wait for it to scroll :P

Yeah there was a problem with the after pics I was overcome with excitment about how shiny it was and rushed to put it in and forgot to take the pics =(

LOL you guys are funny..

But today I got a x2 3800+ stock HSF to test.. it spins faster and temps still get high but not as fast... the opty 275 stock HSF w/ 2heatpipes im using spins slower and temps are usually 38C idle Core0, 43Core1 =

I was disappointed, hoped it was the new king.

Cooler Master Gemini II: Performer or Poser?

On the cooling efficiency front, the Gemini II is similarly average. Of the 21 measured temperatures, the Gemini II is outperformed at idle by nine coolers; at load seven tested cooler configurations outperform the Gemini II. Again we are often comparing one fan solutions that perform better than the two-fan Gemini II configuration. To be fair, we have been testing the best coolers on the market for the last couple months, but there is no reason at all to expect the Gemini II to fall short of the top performers. The fact that it does is disappointing.