CPU Cooler Questions? Tuniq / Thermalright ?

RobNyc

I've read a couple of reviews on diff. coolers.. Seems to me the Tuniq Tower 120, Thermalright Ultra 120 & Extreme are the top 3. I'm trying to decide which one to get.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tuniq is the top performer of the group. It's also massive, around 2 pounds and is hard to fit in some cases.

The Ultra 120 is very close to the performance of the Tuniq, weighs around 1.75 pounds, and is relatively easy to fit in most cases. The new versions even have the Intel style stock holddowns for quick mounting on the 775 boards.

I think the Extreme version is probably the best way to go. In most tests, it topped the Tuniq by a small margin. This is also possibly due to "perfect" samples being sent out for review, but Thermalright seems to be better than most about giving reviewers a random sample to play with.

If you can get it, I think the 120 Extreme would be your overall best choice, of the three.

Also the Thermalright don't seem to come with a good fan or a fan at all.

It doesn't come with a fan... it lets you pick your own. So if you like quiet, you can pick a slower fan, but if you want nothing but performance, you can pick a high-rpm fan (but if you want nothing but performance you'd go for a water setup, right? :rolleyes:)

There's another HSF out there that outperforms them all, but I can't think of the name. It's much lesser known and it's relatively small for a 120mm unit, but it's got 8mm heatpipes and supposedly this vastly increases heat transfer. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

There's another HSF out there that outperforms them all, but I can't think of the name. It's much lesser known and it's relatively small for a 120mm unit, but it's got 8mm heatpipes and supposedly this vastly increases heat transfer. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

This one?

Or this one?

Both made by Scythe... I don't know anything about no 8mm pipes though :)

Well since my cpu is coming oem, I was checking out some AMD HSF at work but they are all used and I don't know which one came out Opteron boxes and I rather save the hassle now. My friend told me I should get a Opteron HSF either way it'll be $10 or less he says but I was just thinking maybe I should get 64 freezer pro or something and later on when I have the real need then go with the Tuniq or so. I rather not go with water cooling I had it already (didn't do it myself) but I maintained it and rather save that hassle too :)

It doesn't come with a fan... it lets you pick your own. So if you like quiet, you can pick a slower fan, but if you want nothing but performance, you can pick a high-rpm fan (but if you want nothing but performance you'd go for a water setup, right? :rolleyes:)

In that case the Tuniq will be less hassle for me :) but right now I came down to other choices and cheaper in the meanwhile since my cpu is oem ..

Usually the Opteron/Athlon X2 heatsinks have heatpipes and are beefier than the standard, no-pipe cooler.

The Freezer Pro 64 does a decent job at cooling, but don't expect to go too far. My 165 hit 2.6GHz with 1.4v and temps hit 54C load.

Aw man, Google's running out of options! :P

Here's a few I rounded up:

Akasa

Another Scythe

I don't know if that Scythe has 8mm heatpipes, but to me it looks a little like the SI-120.

I just realized I'm off-topic in regard to the OP's question. Sorry! lol

Found it. Enzotech Ultra-X.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/d...enzotech_9.html