Sign in to follow this  
Sugarmaster

Rw Freezing

I have a cdrw and I've been trying to burn a cd and it freezes at 6% everytime. I also tried burning knoppix iso. After about 10 minutes of it doing "something" it finally spit the cd out and said that something was wrong. I've tried using Nero and Alchohol 120%. I unplugged the IDE and power cord to try to reset or something... no luck. I'm kind of puzzled because if the drive was broken it wouldnt reconize cd's or start it to the 6%. Anyone know whats going on?

system specs? Sometimes if you have a burner in an older computer it frezzes like that when i had my p1 hooked up with a burner i couldent write the cds right and ended up throwing out a dozen of em.

Athlon 2700

1 gig ram

9800 pro

WD 120 gig HD

burner is 52x but I also have a regular DVD Drive.

I actually took it out of my old comp.. and it worked fine

if your downloading the songs then its something with the songs. theres a cd copy protection on most cds now and if you dont know how to avoid it then some people put badly decoded songs on to the net without knowing.

anyways if your downloading and its one of the songs you should be getting an erro message like this. just a different program.

error.jpg

solution for the song problem. test every song before burning. wait until after 30 sec. if the song didnt turn into like a scrambling sound then that song is fine.

if its not the songs then i have no ideaa. but iv had this problem befoe and it was only the songs.

I had one that had the same problem, took it to someone that knows more than me in that area and he said that it was a misalignment of the diode.

Not big enough to do anything up to a quarter of the disk, then off track the rest of it :(

Well, After uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck, I finally took the thing out and tried it in another comp... Same thing in that one. So, I'm thinking that its done. I was looking at the back of it and just out of curiosity, What does the jumper for Master and Slave on the back of the drive do? I've never messed with it before... If I was to open the thing up is there anything that I should be looking for? I've never really messed with cd drives before. Like I said before, It reads cd's, and *sometimes* it starts to burn but never passed 6%, after that it just spins and spins until I have to restart my comp

the master/slave jumper is for where it is on the ide cable if it is the first drive on it you should set it to master if it is the second device then it is a slave

Yea, I could pretty much figure that out :D I geuss what I was really asking was could that have anything to do with, maybe sending info to the 2 drives while burning? Even though I have the rw set as the burner in the burning software...

depending on make of the drive, it may REQUIRE you to set it as a master. Plextor and TDK are both that way. if you don't do as they demand in the directions you can have problems like this.

Ok.. After messing with it more, different combo's with different set-ups, I've come to the conclusion that it has something to do with read buffering. I can get it burning for about 5 seconds.. it looks like it would keep going but the buffer reading jumps i.e. 20%-40%-60%-80%-100% and then THATS when it freezes up. CD drives are very foreign to me and I dont know much about them.. Maybe I accidently put it to a setting that does this? Can I disable the buffering? Also, something very strange happened.. On one of my MANY attempts (we're talking, 30's) I tried to burn 2 songs, I didnt change any settings.. and it worked, I took it out to my car and played it in the cd player just to make sure, it worked.. I was happy, but after that I tried it again and it FROZE!! Man, I was angry. This leads me even more to beleive that its something I am doing wrong and not the burner. I'm really getting desperate, I've taken the thing apart and blowed in it like an old nintendo game! :lol::lol: