New Opty 165

just got an opty 165.

stepping CCBWE 0633 XPMW.

anyone had any experience with this stepping.

currently at 2.5 at stock voltage:)

• 2 weeks later...

well it seems 2.76 is all this chips gonna give me.

the oppertunity arose to get a ccbbe stepping of ebay. currently got it up to 2.85 with a slight volt increase to 1.375.

fingers crossed, could have a 3g one here :drool:

hit some problems with this chip.

for somereason it really struggles if the fsb gets any higher than 320 :confused:

even with the multi right down it takes a huge amount of volts to get going.

does that sound like the chip is bad or something else holding it back.

I would have to say it's the RAM holding you back. 165's work better with PC4000. I have a set of ocz pc3200 that i could get to 500MHz and I still wasn't able to go over 2.8G with a capable 3.0G opty 165..

I would have to say it's the RAM holding you back. 165's work better with PC4000. I have a set of ocz pc3200 that i could get to 500MHz and I still wasn't able to go over 2.8G with a capable 3.0G opty 165..

I would say it's the chip scaling poorly with voltage. My RAM is good up to DDR560, but my Opty scaled poorly with voltage... stable 1.4v at 2.6GHz, not stable at 2.7GHz with 1.62v. Couldn't go above 289 FSB.

Loosening your timings might improve stability. Don't know how your RAM performs, though, so I wouldn't really now. Performance probably wouldn't be severely harmed.

Try dropping to a 100 divider. The lowest divider I could use was the 150 Ram/FSB - 4/5. Wouldn't boot with anything less - except for the 100. Give it a try and see if the processor is holding you back. CPU is KING

well loosening the timings has allowed me to raise the fsb up more. rams at 3.6.6.7 on the 133 divider.

sat at 2.934 at the minute. not tested for stability yet though