Sign in to follow this  
mraln

Basiq 500W good enough to handle my future rig?

I plan on building a desktop with the specs located in my sig. I was wondering if the Antec Basiq 500W is sufficient enough. I plan on OCing but nothing too crazy. Thanks for your replies in advance.

I'm going to say it would probably work for short term use...but then fail in the next couple months. The Basiq (basic) line is just that, not meant to be anything performance oriented. Like it or not you're building a powerful computer and it's going need something better. Watch for rebates, you ought to be able to find an Antec TP3 550, Corsair 520, OCZ/Fortron 600 watter for around $100.

Just my two cents....it's worth paying the extra $40 or so to ensure no problems.

After abusing the Corsair 520 for the last couple months I really, really like it (even though it has modular connections which aren't really my preference). I honestly had it upside down on a desk for a while (accidentally) so there was absolutely no air passing through it while running 3dmark and Orthos and all that jazz on a 3.5GHz+ C2D and 8800GTX over a week or so - never broke a sweat. That says a lot to me in it's capabilities.

I'm going to say it would probably work for short term use...but then fail in the next couple months. The Basiq (basic) line is just that, not meant to be anything performance oriented. Like it or not you're building a powerful computer and it's going need something better. Watch for rebates, you ought to be able to find an Antec TP3 550, Corsair 520, OCZ/Fortron 600 watter for around $100.

Just my two cents....it's worth paying the extra $40 or so to ensure no problems.

After abusing the Corsair 520 for the last couple months I really, really like it (even though it has modular connections which aren't really my preference). I honestly had it upside down on a desk for a while (accidentally) so there was absolutely no air passing through it while running 3dmark and Orthos and all that jazz on a 3.5GHz+ C2D and 8800GTX over a week or so - never broke a sweat. That says a lot to me in it's capabilities.

I am not surprised. Seasonic makes the corsair, and a lot of their PSUs can run at ridiculously high temperatures with no problems. Great stuff. :)

I like my OCZ, though I wish it was modular.

You don't want to skimp when it comes to the power supply, especially if you're talking about future proofing. The PSU is what gives life to your computer.