Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Robc1880

e4300 or e6420? Please help.

Recommended Posts

Looks like I'm gonna be pulling the trigger on a C2D rig today. Just can't figure out which CPU to get.

 

Proposed Rig:

CPU:

e4300 or e6420 I can get locally for $215.

 

CPU Cooler: Zalman 9700

 

Motherboard:

Evga 122-CK-NF68-A1 I can get locally for $180

or

Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9

 

RAM:

G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

 

Whatever is not listed will be carried over from my current rig. I am leaning towards the e6420 because of the bigger cache. I am currently doing occasional gaming, and pretty intense video and picture editing. I do plan on OC'ing the rig....3Ghz would be nice, but would be satisfied with 2.5Ghz.

 

I didn't go for a P965 board because I had seen that they are having some issues with RAID.

 

Which CPU and mobo combo would work best? If you have any advice or suggestions, please feel free to let me know. I know nothing of Intel setups (this will be my first). Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought 6420's MSRP was around $183?

 

In any case you can't go wrong. If you want to meet like 1/2 way, the e6320 is great. 4mb Cache, just a lower clock the the e6420, you can easily OC that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're going with the E4300, you might as well check out buy.com and type in "E4400". It's selling now for 157.99. Sign up for Google Checkout and get it for 147.99 shipped. (If you already have a google checkout, just make up another email addy and sign up with the same info)

 

If you want to go with the E6420, you should wait until April 22nd when they drop the prices to $183. ($133/$113 for the E4400/E4300 respectively)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely overlooked the e4400's, thanks mraln. I'm just debating now of whether or not to wait for the price drops or just bite.

 

Can anyone clear up for me what the RAID issues are on the P965 chipset? I've been looking but can't find any real definitive answers. Pretty much all I'm looking to do is keep my Seagates running in RAID 1 ( I know that I have to format and recreate the array for the new chipset).

 

If the RAID issue won't affect me, I may go for the DS3 or the DFI P965-S instead of the FP-IN9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stumbled on a deal for the P5W DH Deluxe. I like that this board has more SATA ports than the previous 2 that I was looking at. What are some of your guys' opinions on this board. I can get it for $150. Would it be worth going for this over the DS3 or FP-IN9?

 

EDIT

Looks like after doing a little research I've narrowed it down a little.

 

I already bought this RAM Mushkin HP2-6400

 

Here are the 2 options for Mobo & CPU

 

DS3 $122 + e6420 $208 = $330

 

P5W DH Deluxe $150 + e4400 $158 = $308

 

From what I could find it seems that these 2 setups would be about even. Does anyone know if I will have any RAM compatability issues these mobo's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I would go for the P5W, but try and get the 6420, or 6320 instead of that 4400.

 

Would the lower multiplier on the 6420 keep me from getting the higher OC? The reason I was going to pair it with the DS3 is because I noticed that DS3's seem to work better with lower multi CPU's and the P5W's work better with the higher multi's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the price cuts the E6600 will drop to current E6420 prices. If I were you I would just go for the E6600 or if you want to save money the E4300 would still kick butt and has an almost 100% Overclock. Im going for the E4300 myself. I doubt the 2Mb L2 will even be noticable compared to the 4Mb, maybe shave off a few seconds on certain tasks. I also bought a DS3 rev 3.3 and Ill be getting that G skill NQ DDR800 also. Just wait for the price cuts within a week or so, you'll kick yourself if you get them now and they drop in price next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
you'll kick yourself if you get them now and they drop in price next week.

 

 

You're probably right. I really want to upgrade to C2D, but why not wait just 1 more week. I definitely would hate myself if I payed more than I need to, especially with only a week to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22nd April is when intel recomended price drops but I don't know if say newegg prices will drop that day or how long it will take to filter in, its at $139 now at the egg.

Intel price for a E4300 is said to be $113 which would make it an absolute bargin. If you were getting ready to buy an E6400 then the same money will get you an E6600.

 

All good things come to those who wait :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But those who buy now get to play with their new toy sooner;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But those who buy now get to play with their new toy sooner;)

 

 

 

Don't tempt me Raiderfan. I'm already on the verge of buying it, just trying my hardest to hold off. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...