Ocing A P3 650 On A ASUS P3V133

coredump

Hello there.

I have a ASUS p3V133 and a Intel Pentium III 650MHz (Coppermine).

I was reading here, and I'm using a multiplier (locked) in 6.5 and a FSB of 100. I tried to change the FSB to 133 (theorically, my 650MHz has to work). THen I have a 866 processor for 3 minutes, until it started to freeze in the POST or in the Win2k boot.

So, anybody oced anything on a P3V133? What's the max FSB that I can get in this setup?

And before ask, yes, I adjust the PCI divisor when I put the FSB in 133MHz, so the PCI frequency stays the same.

Thanks for any help.

well.. See if you can Up the Vcore... just a tad..

find out what ur processer temp is.. If its running too hot it will freeze..

And you bumped it up an extra 33mhz right off the bat?

try an Increase of 5mhz at a time..

866mhz might be pushing your processer a bit too far..

sometimes you get finikie processers..

Hello there :)

I tried lowering the FSB... with 124 FSB (giving a external clock of 806) the machine freezed in the middle test of GLExcess.

So i lower again the FSB to 115MHz, and I'm running fine @ 747 MHz (it's a boeing? :D

I tried GLExcess, and 3DMark2001SE 2 times, and that "CPU Stability Test" from Jouni Vuorio.

I can't monitor the temperature in the CPU(ahhh home made cooler), but the machine isn't freezing. Using my finger, the processor isn't hot.

So I guess I found the correct point :rolleyes:

Any other tests I can do?

The Asus Probe should monitor the CPU temp... it comes with every Asus board...

Like Psy said, you can try going higher and seeing if it'll become stable by upping the VCore... if not, you'll have to settle at the 747...

Though, Psy and I can only get our P3 933 up to arround 1.05G... so 747 sounds close to the max you'll get from your 650.

• 2 weeks later...

Heya!

I did some revamp on my machine... I take off the processor, cleaned it, and mounted a new set of fans in the heatsink. I too added a reversed HD Cooler blowing fresh air behind the processor. This way I get the FSB to 124 and the PCI divisor to 1/4, so my PCI is at 31MHz, my AGP at 62 and my AGP2X in 124MHz.

Looks like stable, and no heating at all. To test I get a linux program called cpuburn that forces FPU and mathematical operations, I get 100% cpu use for 20 minutes, and four instances of the opengl test program (gears) AND a quake3 arena running at the same time, no heating, no errors, no freezes. I let GLExcess running in demo loop for 4 hours in windows too, and neither the CPU or the Video Card (a Radeon 7200 o/c from 140 to 170MHz) shows any excessive heating (i adapted a 486 cooler in the heatsinc of the radeon).

In the other hand, if I try to put a 133 FSB the machine hangs in the boot, or when I start cpuburn. I tried the "Test" position of the jumper that the Asus P3V133 has for VCORE, it doesn't help. So I guess I will stay with my P3 650 running at 806MHz. Seems like a good shot.

Your can sugest some other tests to run and test for stability?

And another thing.. I have a 256MB 133MHz module, and recently I found a 64MB 100MHz that I put in the machine. Sisoft Sandra says that my memory is running with 4-way interleave and a clock of 93MHz. There can be any problem in that? Or in the UDMA modes of my HD? All speeds that derivate from FSB are, in truth, lower than normal... this can be a problem?

Thanks!