Checksum error

Hi all I'v had a search around the forum but as yet still haven't found a cure for my probs.

I was installing my new video card everything fine turned on the pc and it loaded with checksum error??? so i cleared the cmos re-entered everything and hit F10 then nothing no boot just black screen fans running HDD spinning but thats all so i cleared the cmos again and it boots :confused: so i re-enter everything F10 and nothing :confused: so this time i load windows with out entering bios and it all works just with the wrong settings?

Im typing this on it now.

What iv tryed so far.

reinstalled old video card

tried a longer cmos clear

swaped batterys

swapped ram

swapped psu

reinstalled bios (latest)

think thats about it not sure what else i can do plz help i have a 8800gtx sitting here and two 320gb sata drives and its killing me

cheers

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

When you change hardware sometimes the BIOS will come up with a CMOS checksum error. This is normal.

What settings are you changing?

Do not load any CMOS reloaded profiles.

Is the card in the top PCIE slot running at x16?

Hi Sharp

i didnt change any setting just found that i could boot so i cleared the cmos thats what i found that i could save any setting because it would only boot after the cmos was cleared.

im not running the new card anymore because i wasnt sure if the new one was the prob but i have checked that the jumpers are set to single card not sli and i have left the cmos of a few hours now hoping that might fix it but its still not letting me save any settings :(

Just a thought but would this just be a prob in my bios chip or could be be somewhere else on my mobo there is someone on ebay selling chips so i might be able to get one off him i dont want to send my mobo off to dfi really coz it costs so much and i only just got it back from them a few weeks ago if i send it again i might as well have got a new one :(

Yeah you could try a new BIOS chip but also what about flashing the BIOS?

Try the latest official BIOS.

After the BIOS flash clear the CMOS for at least 10mins.

Yeah you could try a new BIOS chip but also what about flashing the BIOS?

Try the latest official BIOS.

After the BIOS flash clear the CMOS for at least 10mins.

I did flash the bios once but thinking about it i didnt clear the cmos after.

what way should i do it?

1 flash new bios

2 when it asks to restart let it then power down

3 set the cmos to clear and leave to say an hour

4 reset cmos and replace battery

5 swith on enter bios set date and time

6 F7 then F10

7 re-enter bios (if it lets me ) and rest every thing to how i like it

Ill get the new bios chip anyway even if this works its always nice to have a spare

cheers

This is what I do,

1 Flash the BIOS

2 When it asks to restart, Turn the PC off by pressing the front case power button.

3 Clear CMOS for 10mins, Leave battery in there.

4 Move jumper back to save position

5 Power PC and enter BIOS.

6 Load optimised settings

7 For each CMOS reloaded profile save the current settings

8 save and exit

9 enter the BIOS and do whatever you like.

:)

Cool I'll give it a try. On a side note I'v found that my new 8800GTX isn't working so ill be sending it back tomorrow it makes me think that the card could have messed my board up ?

Cheers Sharp

Well after a nice long cmos clear i now cant even get it to boot at all :( im getting 3 leds and long single beeps does anyone think this is a little more than my bios? i ordered a new bios chip so ill try that but i just get the feeling its F**ked :'(