+5VSB Jumper setting for USB?

I didn't know what to do, so for the first cluster of USB ports on my motherboard (LP nF4 SLI-DR) I set the jumper to the +5VSB setting rather than the +5V setting. I am unclear as to what the difference is. VSB stands for what, "start board" or "standby"? What will using the usb ports in the +5VSB jumper position enable? I was thinking it meant that if I touched a key on my motherboard it would cause the power supply to POST up the system, but it doesn't happen.

I was thinking it meant that if I touched a key on my motherboard it would cause the power supply to POST up the system, but it doesn't happen.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

you will find what you need in the bios, no jumper changing required.

get to looking, best way to learn the bios is to camp there for awhile and explore, explore, explore.............

laterz,

baldy

sorry, i was responding to your comment of what you thought it did (automatically fire up system), thus my comment back to cruise the bios, the setting to have a the motherboard, lan or mouse fire up the computer is located in da bios.

my apologies, thought i was helping. as far as the USB goes, the explaination of the jumper setting is contained on page 7 of your motherboard manual.....................

or

"It connects to the motherboard and is used to remotely control the power supply in conjunction with functions such as soft On/Off (Windows, etc.), Wake on LAN (WOL), Wake on MODEM (WOM), USB, etc. The motherboard in turn sends a signal, PS_ON#, a TTL (Transistor Transistor Logic) low signal (which is debounced by the power supply), to the power supply telling it to turn-on full power. If PS_ON# is pulled to a TTL high state, the power supply will turn-off all of the voltages except the 5-volt standby voltage (+5VSB). +5VSB is active whenever AC power is present."

so it appears it keeps the 5v USB active, that way you can use USB micey's and MB's to fire up the system..............

laterz,

baldy

Yeah, but having jumper set to +5VSB and plugging keyboard and mouse in to those respective USB ports, moving the mouse and/or touching the keyboard does not start up the system, so evidently it doesn't work, so I was thinking, WTF?

thus my COMMENT on activating it in the BIOS, along with the jumper change.

you had to enter the bios to activate USB for keyboard and mouse, so i would imagine that to get the USB boot option you would have to activate the bios setting also, whether PS/2 OR USB..........

laterz,

baldy

Jeesh,

In da bios>Integrated Peripherals>right below the AC97 Audio setting (about middle of page)

and what will you see???

hmm, power on by mouse and power on by keyboard. they are disabled by default, you have to enable them.....

now, just so you will know, it took me about 1 minute to reboot into the bios so i could refresh my memory on where to go, then come back and post this to make it easy for you.

it isn't going to take you that long to figure it out, and, frankly, if you got the DFI for clocking, you are going to be spending a lot of time in the bios making adjustments to tweak your clock properly, ram adjustments, LDT, HTT, voltages, etc....................

i would suggest reading the first sticky in this forum section, and there are other places to visit with some good informations on DFI,

you can visit

http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

or here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

between here and the two i mentioned, i doubt seriously if there is one smidgen of information not already covered ad infinitum, and each spot has its own very specific guides, then Tmods DFI CD, a must have for DFI sweetness.....................cruise them, read up, the information will glaze your eyes over after awhile, then it gets easy.......

laterz,

baldy

also, just to edify, i believe you only need to change the jumper that activates the ports you plan on using, so if pluging to the MB ports, then change that jumper, i also use the internal pinouts to add additional ports with one of those 4 port PCI inserts with the wires connected to MB, so if you did that and wanted those to be active when the machine is off, then the jumper would have to be switched for those....

again,

laterz

Thanks, oh wise eagle. I did indeed find the settings, but my system kept crashing, and I don't know why yet, when I messed with them. I suspect I have a bad HD, so I am back to optimized default settings for the time being. I appreciate you taking all that time, may the Gods of Clocking Bless You.