Sign in to follow this  
bozotheclown

hitting the wall at 3Ghz with my Opty185

Hi all,

my pov 8800gtx which is generating a lot of heat is the main reason why I can't go over 3Ghz. If I go over 3Ghz the cpu temp get's up to 70degrees celcius on core2 and 68 on core1. Shortly after these temps are reached my system crashes.

To go over 3Ghz (231x13, memdivider 180/200) I have to raise the vcore over 1.325 which in itself is great because the cpu is specced at 1.35.

What is even better is that the cpu is now ortos stable for over 24hrs at 1.264v(1.3v in bios) vcore!!!! at 3Ghz.

core1 gets up to 33degrees celcius and core2 up to 45.

I use a Thermaltake Big Typhoon and AS5. The fact that there is a temp difference between core1 and core2 is not due to bad cooler mounting or bad application of the AS5. I'm a fair bit experienced in this field:)

I'm contemplating getting myself a Coolit Eliminator (http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?opt...ask=view&id=132) but I wonder if it's worth it. Paying some €200 to get maybe 200Mhz more then I get now.

Any ideas?

Patrick

Well you have voltage room, use it.

What stepping is that Opty 185?

You should do a OCDB post and get in the GGG club.

I'll check the stepping this weekend (have to take of the cooler;)).

The voltage I have but the cooling capacity I don't have. As soon as I up the voltage the cpu temps rise, as soon as I up the cpu speed the temps rise again.

Before I put my 8800gtx in this system I had a 7900gt and my cpu was approx 6 degrees cooler under full load at 3Ghz (never tried more)

I guess the warm air coming from the 8800gtx is spoiling the capabilities of the Big Typhoon. I allready had to move the 8800GTX to the 2nd pcie16x slot(which is 8x) because with the card in the top one my cpu got close to 70degrees celcius on each core just at 3Ghz.

Well you have voltage room, use it.

What stepping is that Opty 185?

You should do a OCDB post and get in the GGG club.

I feel comfortable going to 55ºC for testing a higher oc. Not saying I’ll run 10hr of Prime or Orthos at that temp.

If you want to go higher better cooling is in order. Not real sure how high those Opty 185’s will go. Maybe another 100MHz so you have to weight that yourself in your cost for better cooling.

You have that stacker case. Try putting a 120mm fan on the side panel pointing at the video card. Also be sure you have enough exhaust. Ideally you want negative air pressure in your case for the coldest air cooling potential.

I would say that those temps are very high for the vcore you're running, even without the 8800. Have you tried reseating the hsf? Something else defo worth toying with is de-liding your cpu, it will make a difference.

I've tried several cpu coolers on tha cpu so I've reseated the cooler some 3 times and each time with just a rice grain sized heap of AS5 on the center of the cpu. Trust me, the cooler is seated well.

Taking the lid of the cpu is something I did with my previous x2 4400+ and it did help some but with the Big Typhoon it's pretty risky to get the cooler seated well without damaging the cpu core.

First I'm trying to add the following to the rear bottom of the case:

2x

http://shop.freezinghardware.nl/index.asp?...003&i=2534&c=37

2x

http://shop.freezinghardware.nl/index.asp?...=00003&i=1&c=26

to suck more air out of my case

Moving the 8800gtx down a couple of centimeters, to the second pciex16 slot made the temp drop a lot so I'm guessing that creating more airflow in the case by sucking some of that air out of the case will help a bit more.

I would say that those temps are very high for the vcore you're running, even without the 8800. Have you tried reseating the hsf? Something else defo worth toying with is de-liding your cpu, it will make a difference.

By the way i fogot to say, that is one beauty of a clock on that voltage :drool: i wish i'd had that cpu before going to phase, there's got to be lot's more left in it as well.