• RAID1 "mirroring"
    • RAID1+0 "striped+mirroring"
    • RAID0+1 "mirrored+striped"
    • RAID3/4 "striped"
    • RAID5 "striped"
    • RAID6 "striped"
    • none of the above.
    • Don't have RAID setup yea.

Currently been implementing RAID0,RAID1 and soon a RAID5 array.

My new setup will run RAID1 (mirroring) for /boot & / on linux and RAID0 (striped) for /var /usr and such directories under LVM and Device Mapper Crypt.

I will only be using RAID1 in windows for the time being and RAID5 in the future.

EDIT: if you can USE a raid6 array instead of a raid5 array as it will provide a high fault tolerance than raid5. example in a raid5 array if any two drives fail you lose the whole array, while in a raid6 you won't. also raid6 has double parity compare to single parity info on raid5. btw most controller don't support raid6 but some of the newer ones do. since raid6 uses a double parity you'll sacrifice more data in this array, example

RAID6 array - 4 x 500 GiB = 1000 GiB

RAID5 array - 4 x 500 GiB = 1500 GiB

so you loose out one drive to parity info etc on a raid6 array but you'll be protected if two drives fail.

4 - 250gb Hitachii Deskstars Sata II in Raid 5 on Areca 1210 controller.

Will be soon getting the Areca 1231ml and running Raid 6 and a Raid 0 array

I voted RAID 10 but for the life of me I can't remember which way around I set it up... I'm not at home right now so I can't check... does anyone know of any performance difference between 0+1 and 1+0? Either way I'm striped and mirrored though :-)

I voted RAID 10 but for the life of me I can't remember which way around I set it up... I'm not at home right now so I can't check... does anyone know of any performance difference between 0+1 and 1+0? Either way I'm striped and mirrored though :-)

it's all the same, raid0+1 & raid1+0 and or raid10 or raid01 refer to the same thing, mirrored plus stripped or stripped plus mirrored, which ever way you want to call it, it still functions the same way..

I use RAID0 that I image weekly on my main rig, it only has to be fast as I don't keep anything I can't afford to lose on a rig that runs close to the edge most of the time. Other rigs in the house use a RAID1 array. The rig I use for business runs a RAID1 array on an LSI SCSI 160 card and is backed up weekly. Haven't lost any critical data yet.