Got a cheap E6300, now what MB to use?

mentul

Got the cpu, picked out the memory already (Patriot DDR2-800 w/ CAS4), and now I just need to pick out a MB to stick it all into. I've been hearing pretty good news about the Asus P5N32E and eVGA 680i-A1 boards but since I came here for advice about my tried, true champ of a board before (DFI LP UT Expert), and wanted to know your thoughts on what I should throw this C2D into.

depends on your budget, for ~120$ you could get a Gigabyte DS3 which are great overclockers

for 160$? you could get an Asus P5B Deluxe which also overclocks well and as far as i know performs a bit better than the DS3

id say stick to intel chipsets since the 680i isnt completely sorted out yet

and if you want DFI..the dfi infinity 975x board is supposed to be great, and a infinity with the p965 chipset is going to be released soon..should also be a great performer for little money

goint through the ocdb, there are boards such as the 3 mentioned , the gigabyte DQ6 is another choice, the gigabyte S3 is less than $100, Asus has several flavors of the P5b to choose from,MSI and Abit have offerings as well.

Depends on your needs and budget. I'd stick with the 965 chipset though.

Looks like the P5B has a decent layout, good features and seems to be in the right price range. How would that compare to the P5N32 though? Features seem pretty similar, except I know for a fact the P5N32 has dual x16 PCIe slots. Which is a pretty useless fact for me since I won't go beyond having one 8800GTX. I'm personally fond of nVidia, and have been a fan for a while... just hard to pull the nVidia veil off my eyes since I've had such a good experience with them.

Got the cpu, picked out the memory already (Patriot DDR2-800 w/ CAS4), and now I just need to pick out a MB to stick it all into.

The new DFI infinity p965/s will be out next week, E6300 overclock really well on it. its better than all other P965 boards - I know ive tested a few including a Ecs i680. For more info see the thread below.

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76242

biker

The new DFI infinity p965/s will be out next week, E6300 overclock really well on it. its better than all other P965 boards - I know ive tested a few including a Ecs i680. For more info see the thread below.

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76242

biker

I think saying it is the best shouldn't be stated as a fact. That is your opinion...but that doesn't make it nessacerily true. And you said it is the best 965P board and say you know because you've tested an ecs 680i? How does that make sense?

Guest ElAguila

The gigabyte is a good P965 mobo. If you like nVidia the ASUS P5N-E sli based on the 650i is a good one.

Guest ElAguila

My own experience with MSI and the P965 mobo, the support was horrid to say the least. I don't know about ASUS as I have not used their support yet.

Support from Asus or MSI leaves something to be desired. It's based on the same principles that dfi-street was, customers helping customers.

That being said, getting an RMA from either company isn't a tough deal and turnaround is inline with any other company.