Thinking of lapping my QX6700 for optimized WC result.. suggestion are

I am thinking of lapping my QX6700 in order for better WC result before I put everything together (Still waiting my order to arrive :( )

Some senior members @ DD forum suggested not to lap the IHS. The main reason is that the piece of glasses we got is not always flat. The true flatness is achieved by machining.

So does anyone here suggest lapping the IHS? I just got a piece of glass from the door of a glass TV closet. It looks pretty flat to me but I don't know if it is really "flat"

Some suggestions and tips are absolutely welcome :)

There are a couple of negatives to lapping the processor.

One is resale value. If you plan on selling it and getting the most return back on your investment, lapping is a bad idea. There are people that will buy it and not consider being lapped a negative but they are not the majority.

Another is warranty. If it is a retail chip there will be absolutely no warranty once it's lapped.

Probably the main thing to consider it actually getting it flat. While a piece of glass without flaws will work fine, there is something else that has a much bigger impact on it being flat. The latching mechanism on the socket puts a slight bow on the processor. The only true way of getting the IHS flat is to lap it while mounted in a socket and locked in place.

Thx Praz. I got the idea now. Probably I think I will try my WC setup first without lapping and see how the temps go and I will look into lapping the IHS if the temp is not ideal.

Lapping the IHS mounted in the socket is not possibly doable to me at least ;)

Lapping the IHS mounted in the socket is not possibly doable to me at least ;)

Need to find a bad motherboard and cut the socket out of it. Another trick some of the benchers use is to remove the latching mechanism completely and let the waterblock hold the processor in place. But I wouldn't recommend that for 24/7 use.