Please help with getting over 2.5ghz wall - Venice 3500+ OCZ Value VX

Hi guys and gals

I'm hitting a brick wall around 2.5Ghz. I recently upgraded my PSU to a Thermaltake ToughPower 750w as someone bought my old Antec 480w PSU. I was hoping to get better results overclocking with this. So far I'm able to run less volts to the CPU, but RAM remains seemingly unchanged, except that I can run it more stably at 230FSB.

See, even when underclocking my RAM at say 220FSB and 1/2 or 5/6 divider, I need to give the OCZ Value VX RAM more volts to make it stable... (around 2.8v) :confused:

Here's my settings and what I've tried:

BIOS: 704-2BTA (currently), 623-2 (similar to 704 results), 510-2fix (need to try next)... Ram in yellow slots

FSB Bus Frequency - 230 (250)

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio - 3

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio - x11 (x10)

CPU VID StartUp Value - stock

CPU VID Control - 1.45v (no difference over 1.6v)

CPU VID Special Control - Above VID * 110%

LDT Voltage Control - stock

Chip Set Voltage Control - stock

DRAM Voltage Control - 2.8v (giving it up to 3.4v didn't seem to help either)

Divider: 5/6 works well, 7/10 is OK, 1/2/ causes problems sometimes.

Timings: tried stock 2.5-4-4-8, tight 2-3-2-5, 2.5-3-2-5, didnt seem to help.

I've searched the database and haven't found many with UTT RAM and venice (and it also doesn't let me search for the words "value") and have followed the overclocking guide. I will start playing with the other memory settings I haven't mentioned above, but if you could steer me in the right direction in case I'm missing something obvious, that would be greatly appreciated :) I'm at a loss of what else to try. Thanks guys!

I still miss my value vx chips still the funnest ram I ever clocked with. This entry was done with a winchester core but same ram as you. That ram will want some more volt's to get higher. If you have tried that much voltage to the cpu without improvement it could be nearing it's limit. Hopefully not though of course. http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...89&postcount=11

LOL what did you do with your value ram? Didn't fry it right? :)

Thanks for the link dude. I will try more volts again with a 9/10 divider instead. i haven't tried that. should i bother changing bios or just use similar settings DRAM settings to you?

I think my CPU can take a bit more, stock is 1.45 i think... max i will go is 1.65. i'm around 1.6 right now... i'll see if that helps with the 3.4v to the ram. might need to do some ghetto air cooling.

thanks again mate!!

Guest Blooz1

You should'nt up the voltage to your CPU any higher than what you're already at if you're just using air cooling! 1.6-1.65 is ok if you're watercooling, otherwise it's too much.

Also, your idea about some ram cooling is good if you want to try more volts. Your VX should be able to take it, but additional cooling would be recommended.

You should'nt up the voltage to your CPU any higher than what you're already at if you're just using air cooling! 1.6-1.65 is ok if you're watercooling, otherwise it's too much.

Also, your idea about some ram cooling is good if you want to try more volts. Your VX should be able to take it, but additional cooling would be recommended.

thanks for the advice :) will ziptie a fan near the ram chips and blow it towards the rear of the case exhaust.

i forgot to mention that my CPU temps are pretty good. 29 idle, under 36 load. chipset temp is usually below 45.

sounds like more volts to the RAM is the way to go