Looks like I got an extreme reduction

I have rebuilt my system that had fried, now I am running a Lanparty as listed in the sig and 7900 card.

I lapped the hell out of my Thermalright XP-120 HS. It was REALLY cupped and I wore it down past the nickel plating. I finished it off with Mother's PowerMetal and got it as shiny as a nice mirror. It took me almost a couple of hours, but I applied Coollaboratories Liquid Metal Thermal Compound rather than the Arctic Silver Ceramique I had been using.

I haven't started overvolt and overclocks yet, but even with the CPU throttled way back but the CPU under full load it is a full 16 degrees cooler now! I imagine even if it only ends up being half that cooler after overclocking it that is still very impressive.

I do have a question, however:

My CPU temp reads 38 degrees, but the core temps are much higher, about 52 and 56. What temps are considered too high for the actual core temps? My CPU is an Athlon 64 4800 S939 Toledo.

Guest r3d c0m3t
I do have a question, however:

My CPU temp reads 38 degrees, but the core temps are much higher, about 52 and 56. What temps are considered too high for the actual core temps? My CPU is an Athlon 64 4800 S939 Toledo.

That depends on whatever your board's thermal shutdown temperature is, mine is 86 C. Check your BIOS for that...52 and 56 ain't bad the actual core temps are going to fluctuate from this to that from time to time. So, unless you exceed the thermal shutdown temperature you're fine. :)

What are u using to read the temps, i go with core temp and mb5(not together )and take the hotter of the two as my temps better to be safe blah blah.........

lapping can take that of and some if temps are an issue consider h2o.