Gaming with this TV

OsamaBinAthlon+

Link Here

I have been eying that TV for a while and the time is right to buy it. I will wall mount it with a desk for KB and MOUSE under it.

First off will it not be practical for gaming? Like how far away should I be from it?

What graphics card setup will I need to game at this resolution? 1920x1080?

TVs have the problem of overscan. MIne is about 1824x1020 for 1080p. You can set resolution for windows with software, or your drivers if you use an nvidia, but you can't usually set overscan compensation in games.

In WC3, for some reason with nvidia, it actually stretches the 1024x768 to 720p, posts it to the screen, resizes it to 4:3, so it still overscans, so I can't see my mana bar.

I think it'll be a while before drivers handle HDTVs that overscan(just about all of them) competantly. :(

isn't there a way you can use the Component (HD) analog out from your vid card to go into the TV and get proper HD resolutions? (depends also I suppose on if the game supports 1280x720 for 720p etc)

my brother's DLP has options for 30Hz and 60Hz (and a "Game Mode" for speeding up the refresh to make sure it draws at 60Hz I guess, haven't actually tested it yet) as well as VGA and Component (and HDMI) inputs.

I know also that ATI video cards have a shitload of possible resolutions, so you might find one that is proper to the TV's standard resolutions.

But I'm interested as soon enough I'm going to plug in a Crossfire rig to his TV and see if it will truly do 720p and 1080i/p for gaming

nvidia also has custom resolutions

under youd display properties tab.

you can set custom resolution sizes if your display stretches or what not.

so instead of like 1900x1200, you can set like 1820x1150 etc etc.

I copy and pasted this from the review that showed on the first page:

Other Thoughts: I also tried the PC resolution at 1280x768 and it looks great too, so if that is your MAIN purpose for a 1080p monitor, you dont truly need it. specially if you will sit away from the screen, at 10 - 12 you can read it fine, if not, just increase the font size. I wish I had the desk space to use it as PC monitor :) it sure beats the heck out of the 24" & 30" Dells for less than the 30" price tag.

So not only will it support 1280x768, but if you absolutely have to to pay a game at a lower res, it does support other resolutions as well. I haven't come across an LCD in a while that didn't handle 1024x768...

On a side note, I'd recommend sitting across the room to game with this TV, not right under it! I have a 37" in the other room, and I can't sit right in front without straining my neck after a few minutes looking back and forth... and my eyes... gone are the days of your head being in one position to play a game... lol

nvidia also has custom resolutions

under youd display properties tab.

you can set custom resolution sizes if your display stretches or what not.

so instead of like 1900x1200, you can set like 1820x1150 etc etc.

Good luck getting your games to abide to that..

Guest LookBackX2

I just hooked up a Sony 46" LCD to a computer for the owner of the company I work for. I just bought a vga splitter from newegg for $30 after shipping, a 50 ft vga cable, and it displays 1280x1024 perfectly. It actually looks better than his dell lcd on his desk. We are going to get a widescreen monitor for him, so that the desktop will cover the whole tv screen. Right now he has black bars to the right and left.

Lucky bastard. I have a sony A2000 that limits vga to 13**x768.. such a crappy input. It even has different settings for graphics and text... why the **** wouldn't I want it to look good for both? It doesn't mater, because regardless of what I choose, it looks bad for both.

I wish all TVs had competant VGA inputs. :(