S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Video Test #4

Angry_Games

I've got a little bit of an idea brewing...do me a favor and download this gameplay vid I made, and tell me what you think.

BEFORE you classy lady about this or that, know a few things:

1. first time I've used FRAPS to snag gameplay vid, so I'm still messing with it and Vegas to get the highest quality from the lowest file size

2. the couple of hitches and lags you see in the game are because my fps drops to around 20-30 with FRAPS running (recording) in some areas. Even with a 3Ghz Core2 + 8800GTS 320MB + 2GB RAM, the game can make your machine bleed lifegiving silicon!

3. this is JUST a test. I've got a good idea brewing but I want to see how you all like the quality of this 2-3 minute video.

4. Remember, FRAPS is capturing for me at 1440x900 (and I've done some more at half size, 720x450, which are a lot smaller file size), so the file sizes are going to be huge or else there's no detail. With this vid, you can see the bump-mapping clearly and the detail still is very high.

This gives me an idea to snag some caps on a CRT monitor @ 1024x768 with the details cranked so high my nose starts to bleed.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated. Again, this is just a test to see how many MB it would take to get this 2-3 minute vid done in excellent quality.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Gameplay Video Test #4

I dont know why...

But I get no video in winamp...sound works great though...

I get the Nullsoft Icon for the whole picture...tried about every setting and still the same...not working for me....but sounds killer...

I dont know why...

But I get no video in winamp...sound works great though...

I get the Nullsoft Icon for the whole picture...tried about every setting and still the same...not working for me....but sounds killer...

how about trying Windows Media Player?

there's no reason it won't work because it is WMV format, which works on ALL Windows Media Players.

worked with me when i used vlc media player. WMP would not play it for some reason, said it was an invalid file format lol.

But anyways, the video was awesome. It was a good showing of what the game engine can do.

the codec originally was the FRAPS decompressor, but I created it in Vegas 7.0b with Windows Media 9.2 Advanced WMV Codec so maybe it might have a little issue...I've got some plans and going to remake another one but with the normal WM9 codec this time.

I'm totally stoked on this idea, though it requires a lot of playing of video games (BOOO!!!) and a lot of time fooling with the video editing...but I think it's a good idea and I'll definitely need all donators to give me a hand seeding a torrent when I'm done.

Stalker is a rough game even on my 3Ghz Core2 + 2GB + 8800GTS...It will do about 60fps through almost all of it with most of the details maxed out (except grass density and shadows of course).

When I turn FRAPS on however, it can drop down into the 20's.

I'm going to jam this on a Core2 + 7950GT + 2GB @ 1024x768 with everything maxed and see what I get, and if I don't like it, I'll try it on the 2600Mhz X2 3800+ w/2GB + 2x 7950GT 256MB SLI's.

1024x768 will still look good, and I might not have to use half-size for the capture (1440x900 is an odd resolution anyway).

anyway, more feedback while I prep the western half of the lab (ie clean the mofo)

ps David...the game is KILLER. It's lacking in some areas like all games (no game is perfect). But if you are a fan of post-nuclear or such, and RPG's, then you will dig this game. It could have been so much more, but even as-is, I find myself thinking about playing it all the time...and that hasn't happened since Freelancer and Desert Combat...

well, there's nothing else though that will record hi-def content, especially not insane def like a DVI can put out from a graphics card.

FRAPS is actually a pretty sweet program...just got to have super-fast hdd's (going to swap out to 3x Raptor 36GB drives in RAID-0 I think) as it writes about 1GB per 30 seconds @ 1440x900 resolution (the raw avi's look incredible!), and about...40% of that maybe at half-res (720x450). I figure if I can snag at 1024x768 I might get about 750MB per 30 seconds, and around 200MB per 30 seconds @ half (512x385) with super details and 6Mbit encoding WMV rate I can probably get a good 10 minute game review video in at about 150-200MB, which is perfect for torrents.

My plan is even better however, as I'll upload the vids to the diy server and if 10 of you download them @ 500k+ and then seed at 20-50k, we'll be able to propagate the review vids to 1000+ users quickly and efficiently (and depending on how the bandwidth goes as well as the size and frequency of video releases, we might be able to skip the whole torrent thing and do straight downloads...but 200MB @ 1,000 downloads = massive bandwidth requirements...but we'll see how it all works out in the first month or two lol)

anyway, gonna make a new thread about Guitar Hero with a couple of vid so please check that out too, as I'm looking at purchasing a little device that would allow me to record my Xbox360 @ 1024x768 or something reasonable without expensive bull crap (like $1000 Canopus studio video editing cards lol). $99 for a signal converter specifically made for recording Xbox360/console stuff is a good deal.