Sign in to follow this  
Smitty2k1

SLI-DR Fried Chipset?

Yesterday when playing HL2DM my computer crashed and restarted. I checked the chipset temperature and it was about 76°C. Ever since I have not been able to run any Steam game nor Warcraft III. When I get to the WCIII menu, there are just blocks of crazy colors everywhere. Starting any Steam game leaves me with a black screen. I can exit the apps just fine and even play videos/music.

I reinstalled the graphics card drivers with no luck and then this morning I reformated with no luck. Everything seems to be working fine except for my 3D games.

Also, when I start the computer on the information screen there is less information displayed than there used to be. It shows me my memory count, and then detects all 4 of my hard drives, but says no information about the NF4 chipset.

Is there any sure fire way to tell weather I have damaged my chipset and or graphics card?

Has the chipset fan seized up & thats why its getting to hot & not working?

I would firstly ensure your chipset is running cool & the fan is working & then try again with a minimal build i.e 1 graphics card & 1 stick of RAM to keep the hardware failure possibility's down to a minimum.

The chipset fan quit working long ago. I've been running the rig without a chipset fan for almost a year. I've ordered a replacement already. It is currently not running any hotter than it used to before the problems started. So therefore I am guessing there is permanent damage. I'm doubtful it was the graphics card.

The chipset fan quit working long ago. I've been running the rig without a chipset fan for almost a year. I've ordered a replacement already. It is currently not running any hotter than it used to before the problems started. So therefore I am guessing there is permanent damage. I'm doubtful it was the graphics card.

Well if mounting a new fan on it to bring down the temps don't fix it I would say its a pretty good guess its the NB especially seeing its run for a year without a cooling fan :eek2:

Could be time for some shiny new bits.