Sign in to follow this  
Daba

A64 Stability Problems.. need help..

Hi

My rig (se sign) has always been overclocked, for the most time @ 264x11 1:1 2.5-3-3-8 2.9v.

it has been quite stable for some time now, 8-10h in prime95, never any BSOD or hangups.

Anyways... 2 mounths ago i started having major stability issues. after some testing i found out that one of my Ballistix allways failed memtest no matter what voltage or settings. the other ram was OK.

So i bought a new Ballistix 512 ram, to somehow match the other one.

The new ram as expected dident OC as well as the old one.

So i lowered the clocks, did a prime95 run and it seemed OK (i did a clear COMS after the ram switch).

Then after ~2 weeks, suddenly i gott a hangup in a game, directly after the reboot i did a prime95 run... 1 min error... :eek2:.

I rebooted again, and after 1-2 min and did a second prime95 run (the same clocks). 1h+ stable... what the **** i thought, a bug or something, and cancelled the prime run.

Than some days later, the same thing happens.. this time i lowered the clocks and it seemed ok. But after some time again the same thing.

so i started to test out different settings but i could not gett it stable no matter what.. the only thing that seemed to help is to lower the clocks. Bumping upp the core voltage also seemed to have a poitive effect.

The temps have never been above 51c and the vcore.. max 1.42v (cpu-z)

Now it is very bad, recently i tested 220x11 1:1 3-4-4-8 2.9v and 1h error in prime 95.

The memory seems stable in memtest, i runned 8x250 1.1 3-4-4-8 2.9v without errors. but @ 11x250 3-4-4-8 2.9v it has problems to boot.

It seems that the system is getting more and more unstable over time.

I tested Optimized defaults in bios but thay are totaly unstable.

what is wrong... is the cpu busted or is it the bios....

Have you memtested the new ones with the remaining good old one - is that the configuration that you are running now? You may have issues running them in dual channel as they aren't a matched pair... You should RMA the bad pair of ballistix back to crucial. they aren't supposed to just "develop" memory errors like that - and the ballistix are fairly notorious for it... Once you get them back you should be good to go again...

I bought just one new 512 stick. And right now i run the new one with the working old one, so that may very likely be the problem, they are not matched pair. But i have memtested them without errors.

i will se if they work better in single channel.

EDIT:

yes it is the memory. I tested a single stick and could run my old config with no problems. i tryed to put them in single channel ( the orange and yelow slot near the edge ), but could´t load into win. The screen where xp is supposed to load is just black and nothing more happens.