Hair dryer needed to boot computer

Hi,

I've had my Ultra-D running quite flawlessly for the past year or so but recently a few problems have cropped up.

The first is whenever the room temp is below 50F and the board is at that temp the computer will post but halt at the "Verifying DMI pool" and reboot. It will do this continually untill a heat source such as a hair dryer is directed at the boards chipset area, then it boots into window fine. It restarts fine as long as the board is "warmed up".

The other problem is that the board will not recongize the video card on post unless its positioned only halfway in the slot. Pressing it all the way in and screwing it down is like removing it alltogeather, there's a beep -beep,beep error. The card itself works fine in another computer.

I realize that the board is kinda outdated but it still performas great and would like to know if there's a way to save it.

Thanks for any help in this matter,

MS

Myself i would be pulling the board out and make sure it ant grounding out on the case when the video card is bolted down.(screws have a magic way of finding there way under boards) Or test it out side the case

Hey,

Thanks for all the replies!

My home is cool in the winter early AM when I boot the computer to check e-mail/web, then I leave for work. No sense in heating home all night just to run computer for 15min or so.

Messed with chipset voltages with no change.

Doh - did not even think about moving the card to the "other slot" I'll give that a try soon.

The cool boot problem becomes less of a problem as summer approaches but it is a change that could be leading to more problems. I'd like to possibly drop a dual core chip in while they're still available but don't want to buy one if the MB is on it's way out. I'm not really into tip top performance anymore so have resisted going to Intel dualies but would probably bite the bullet for Intel if this MB failed.