Sign in to follow this  
powsmowl

The upgrade debate continues

for about 2 weeks now, ive been looking into CPU, RAM and mobo upgrades (rest of my system will stay the way it is) and in the beginning, i wanted to stay AMD with an ATI chipset, which narrowed my choices down to about 3 boards (DFI infinity 3200, asus 580x, MSI 3200) but then i saw the DFI intel board with the ati chipset, read that C2Ds are better for gaming atm and so on...i just kept reading and reading more and more reviews and now im totally lost

so my question is : could someone post some good MB,CPU,RAM combos that dont cost more than 500-600€ (650-800$)?

- all parts should be decently overclockable

thats all that really matters except for the price, and im planing to upgrade to an r600 sometime, but i wouldnt upgrad cpu etc again then, just overclock, so also id kind of need a cpu that wouldnt bottleneck the r600 (if thats even possible with a c2d)

help pls :angel:

I'd save some money on the board and get a Gigabyte DS3 or even S3. You are not going to need that P5B to push an E6600 to the max...maybe if you looked at an E6300 or 6400, but even then the Gigabyte takes the win imo.

thanks for the answers, the DS3 is about 50€ cheaper than the P5B deluxe, does the P5B have any other features that justifiy the cost or is it just Asus?

The extra money will be be better spent on other components, I own a P5B Deluxe (among other asus conroe boards) and it's not worth the extra over the gigabyte board unless there's a specific feature that you require.

hmm...ill see what i can do and post the config i sort out

also i forgot to add that aside from forumtrolling the rig will be used ONLY for gaming (hence the r600 coming once theyre cheaper :D)

Gigabyte DS3 lacks in quality compared to Asus, solid caps or not.

Where exactly does it lack in quality? I have a friend with a DS3 and he's got a e6300 at 3.2ghz with the f10 bios.

Gigabyte RAID controller is limited to just 2 drives and sata 1.5 gb/s.

Their NB heatsinks leave alot to be desired.

The layout of the board is awful and the cold boot issue is a royal pain in the butt.

so kingfisher your saying the Asus board is really the money worth? what about the DFI Infinity 975X/G, the Asus P5B-E Plus or the Gigabyte DS4? all 3 are priced between the DS3 and the P5B Deluxe...again, im looking for the best OCer and Games performer :)

im also thinking about jumping down from a E6600 to an E6300 or 6400 but getting the DFI ICFX3200 TR/G

DS3 is an amazing mobo. I had my Revision 1.0 that took my e6300 to 3.4. I recently got a 3.3 because I missed it. Yeah the NB heatsink sucks well you know what get a VC-RE. And the raid did fail on me once.

Layout of IDE and SATA ports are pretty bad also.

Sign in to follow this