Sign in to follow this  
goawayou

will using standby/sleep harm mobo/ram?

with this mobo/ram i've just purchased...

Mobo - ASUS M2N-Plus SLI Vista Edition NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP

RAM - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel @ 5-5-5-12 @ 1.9v

i was wondering if i could get any advice on if it will be harmful to use the xp-standby or vista-sleep shutdown options and not hurt this mobo or ram?

i know that w/ my DFI UT NF4 Ultra-D board that i cannot...

and that it will harm it...

but is this true w/ this ASUS board as well?

thanx for ur opinions!

lol...it was more of an abrupt "don't ever use" issue at the time...

maybe it was because of an old bios or setting? no one really finished explaining it for me...so it just dropped...and i stopped using it.

and that was a long time ago.

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57032

i later read reviews about my same board on other sites and forums about how their DFI lanparty boards were melted, or burnt, or they fried their ram because of using standby....

so if i do use sleep/standby on this asus, or any board...i know there are s1, s3, and s1 & s3 settings... which does what? and which is the best option?

and the thing is, i don't have this asus pc on me right now, it's finally in the owner's hands...but if there IS going to be a problem w/ it over heating from a standby issue, i don't remember it having a max temp shutdown feature like my dfi does. so i'd wanna get the setting right if i'm going to use it.

lol...for now i just told her not to use it...EVER. lol. it'll boot fast enough anyways, at least in comparison to her last pc... :shake:

but it's the whole point that it's still there...'what if' she still accidently uses it? i just wanna make sure it's going to be on an ok setting to use if it's even useable at all!

thanx!

so if i do use sleep/standby on this asus, or any board...i know there are s1, s3, and s1 & s3 settings... which does what? and which is the best option?

In very simple words: S3 means „suspend to RAM“, i.e. only the RAM is provided with power in order to enable the RAM to keep the actual condition of the system while “sleeping”. By using this suspend mode you can save more energy compared to S1, but because all other components are switched off during the “sleep”, the system fans are stopping too, so there’s no active cooling provided for the RAM modules although they’re under voltage – this maybe explains why some problems can occur using this mode e. g. in small cases on hot summer days...

On the other hand, S1 is the most simple of all ACPI-states, because in this mode only a few functions are disabled and you can wake up the system by simply pressing any key. During the resting period, fans are going on to run so there’s no danger of overheating the system while sleeping.

On my DFI expert I only use the S1 state because I have recognized that there are some problems with USB devices when waking up the system out of the S3 state (my former Asus A8N SLI Premium didn’t show this problem). But besides of this fact I never have had any trouble by using the ACPI function.

A tight overview of the different ACPI-modes is given here: http://www.lifsoft.com/power/faq.htm

Regards, N.

Honestly, my desktop rigs are either off or on. Hibernate, Standby, Suspend to RAM and any other strange "not running" states are not worth it.

When computers took long minutes to boot it might have saved a few watts here and there. These days it doesn't make sense to worry about boot times hence my "off or on" preference.

Unless I'm gonna be away from my rig for more than a few hours it stays on.