S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

uneedav8

bah, this game pissed me off so much I started playing Dark Messiah of Might & Magic instead.

Any game I have to rely on God Mode or a trainer etc to actually play...is a game that instantly bores me because it no longer provides a challenge (which is better than dying every 3 minutes because combat sucks though).

I am hoping that after a couple of patches, the game will actually play proper.

It always pains me to see a game that doesn't even look as good as Source engine games chew up so much of my hardware...if a game doesn't even look as good as Source games, and makes my high-end system drag, it just means that the developers didn't bother to finish it, or the publisher forced them to finish it early, etc.

You'd think after 6 years in development though, that STALKER would be a lot better than it is =/

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry off topic a tad. LOL:D

I have a friend that emails me all the time about Stalker, man is he pissed!!!:eek:

stkrscrns0001pf1.th.jpg

He says pretty much every thing AG has said, though that QSQL is still a mystery to me? Don't these DEV teams, even look at great games and at least try to make theirs as close as possible, ie; Performance, Game Play, Voice Overs, AI, Control Scheme, QS/QL, Screenshot key, hell the list goes on and on:p Have they NEVER played HL?? Quake, Unreal, Oblivion, it would appear not. look at the successful games made here in the USA, or there are other Countries I'm sure that have released Great titles, just can't think of any at the moment:eek2:

If it were up to me all FPS'ers would have the same basic functions, that have been used forever, the open ended stuff is cool if you got a house or something, maybe a beam me up machine? Portals etc. I'll wait for Stalker to hit the bargin bin, prolly see it at www.gogamer.com for like $2.99 in a few months, UNLESS they patch it and NOW!!

Ok DARK MESSIAH:

I love this game so far, it looks awesome on my 8800 card, this game was crap when released, but they patched it, and the patches work GREAT!!!

This is what a good FPS/RPG should be, well except, in DM you have Swords and magic etc., instead of Rocket Launchers and Shotguns!!! But the inventory system is great I think, and I can't say enough about the graphics, though it has some poorly coded AI here and there. It's only 24 bucks too. Worth it!!! DM is the first game I installed on my new build, man what a difference a card with 96 pipes, 320bit, 320MEG (which is not much RAM, but plenty!!) etc., makes. I need another GIG of RAM now more than anything, so anyhow, if you guys like Oblivion, you'll like DM maybe you'll like it more?LOL:rolleyes:

Blue

BTW, AG et al, here's what GameSpot gave STALKER, hum, gotta wonder, what do you guys think, is this score on the money or no?

screenhunter003uv7.jpg

I like this part: "Story is a bit incoherent".....

F6 is quicksave, F7 is quickload.

Thank you, Booster!!! That saves time a lot.

…I agree with Angry_Games & BLUEMONSTER’s comments on the game mostly…

Like Angry_Games, I got stuck in the Garbage site… It is hard to ‘learn’ how to aim the weapons at the enemy in the zoom mode. I though that I threw the grenade toward the group of the bandits approaching toward the Garbage site, but only me involved in the explosion…

However, I have not had the game crash, sound or graphic problems, so far – the game just runs very nicely & smoothly in my box.

After I spent 4 – 5 hours for test-run, I got my best key map, graphic & sound settings, and started the new game in the stalker level tonight (I enabled the “Frequency 60Hz” setting – that seems to help gaining a bit better frame rate).

Honestly I am getting to like ‘wandering abound’ – the game does not force me to stay on the missions very strictly, so I just spent hours in checking out the points displayed in the PDA maps, killing the bandits or getting away from them, toying and killing the monsters…etc. I know, it’ll take time to complete the missions, but I found this interesting. In the ‘old-school’ FPS, the players have nothing in the game if they do not keep on killing the enemies…

I heard that “Oblivion” can provide this kind of game play. I’m interested in trying it, too.

A good tip is head to the military base north of the bar and kill all the guys there, they drop some nice rifles that actually deal good damage and have great accuracy. There is also a RPG launcher directly west of the bar area also.

I will!!!

ok, I need to take back a few things that I said

my buddy drove up from out of town and we played the game until about 4AM, and after watching it run like smooth, liquid glass on the COre2 @ 3200Mhz + 8800GTS @ 1280x1024 with all option cranked up to the max, I got pissed and started fooling around with the game some more.

I went into my CCC and enabled Advanced AI and started the game again and now it runs pretty damn awesome (7.2 CAT drivers w/Crossfire enabled).

And after playing a lot more, I got the aim thing down...and here's my most important piece of advice:

AIM FOR THE HEAD (humans)

headshots = instant kills!

I wiped out about 100 bandits last night with ease, and even took on some military guys (however the base north of starting point whipped my butt so I had to change tactics a few times lol).

I'm going to hold off any more negative comments until I get a lot more into the game lol...it's turning out to be a pretty kick butt game for the moment!

Maby you guys just need to upgrade................J/K So how CPU intensive is this game any word?

Any test to see if dual core actualy helps as they hinted at before release?

How are you likeing the the new system Blue?

I have had the game on order since Dec 2004 with Play.com.

I thought it was going to be released in the March of 2005. (LOL)

When I actually received the email saying it had been posted I nearly feel of my chair :eek2:

I made the mistake of putting the skill level to veteran, then spent the next two hours being killed by everything from rabid dogs to bandits.

The game must be enjoyable for me as I missed the England v Isreal Euro Qualifier :eek: (thank god I did in hindsight).

I think game play is a bit slow as you run for ages before meeting any one.

Since I have been killed that many times the scenario is always different when replayed, ie rain, reactions etc.

The thought that i will spend another couple of hours playing must be testament to a different style of game play by the developers

So far so good though a couple of things i have learnt

the F6-F7 for quick save and load

Search all bodies as the always have goodies to pinch

apart form that any one else with hints please post!!

Doc

Maby you guys just need to upgrade................J/K So how CPU intensive is this game any word?

Any test to see if dual core actualy helps as they hinted at before release?

How are you likeing the the new system Blue?

Hell, I'm loving it, I just noticed I left out my AMD Athlon64 San Diego 4000+ CPU, crap back to the drawing board:sad:

I have a lot of MoBo tweaking to do, but am in no hurry, shes up and running with a Crisp, Clean, Formatted install of XP!!! Yee Haa. Now it's all about fine tuning:D

I want to get my Sandy up to 2.9-3 GHz and my RAM @500 or so, I also need to work on getting another GIG O RAM;) I'm going to work with my brother to help me out there I think, as I'll be re-building his RIG soon as well.

I am so stoked by my 8800 card, the image Quality is awesome. I don't care for the new NV CP though, I hear theres a reg hack to change it to CLASSIC, if you guys might know what that is, post it please. I can live with the new NV CP, but like the old school one better, easier to fiddle with, maybe after some time, I'll get used to it.

Yup two big thumbs up on my NEW RIG!!!

Blue

Now people are saying Stalker is cool, I figured this would happen, I'll wait and see, should get the game before to long. I don't think there's anything wrong with it that a couple good patches can't fix.

:)

I hate to say it but you are going to love this game Blue it is not an easy game though to say the least. The game "accuracy" is a pain I can see it already you gun doesn't shoot exatly where you point- the horrrror. With that and the need not to hit them in the armored areas puts a lot more strategy into the game than I expected. There is a lot more sneaking than other games. Frontal assault gets you dead fast! The realism is fun though frustrating. You can see your shots go wide when it would be dead bang in other games. Sorry odds are you are not going to hit someone at 100 meters with a pistol. I am not superman in this game like it or not. Grrrrrrrr

This is going to be a great game it really does look good with everything on- I havent tried to max AA/AF or res though it was fine at lower res. The game looks far better than the review pics would lead you to believe I have not tried to many options but things were pretty.

I did not have any issues loading or unloading the games or with in game saves- it was smoother than FEAR! It is smoother than the original FEAR even after all the patches. I am sure I will catch plenty of bugs later with more play though.

I can not play it long need to sleep so I can work Hi ho hi ho.

I am so stoked by my 8800 card, the image Quality is awesome. I don't care for the new NV CP though, I hear theres a reg hack to change it to CLASSIC, if you guys might know what that is, post it please. I can live with the new NV CP, but like the old school one better, easier to fiddle with, maybe after some time, I'll get used to it.

stuck to the top of Video Cards section, the 8800 sticky, it's in my first post

stuck to the top of Video Cards section, the 8800 sticky, it's in my first post

AG~

I hate to say this, but I will anyhow, I'm really bad when it comes to reading Stickies (I admit it!, who else will?). So thanks, I learned a lot last night about messing with the NV CP., well and today:D

I hate to say it but you are going to love this game Blue it is not an easy game though to say the least.....

Joe~

Stalker sounds just like Codename Outbreak, if any of you guys were real gamers you would know that the two games were developed by the same DEV team....J/K LMFAO:D

Outbreak was the same way, you'd be huffing along forever it seemed sometimes with nothing happening then all the sudden all these shots are fired at you, you can't even tell where they are coming from most of the time, and that was one part of the game I could do without, but then once you knew where they were after QS/QL ing a dozen times, it was cool. Outbreak had the same issues with there QS/QL system, never knew if it worked or not, sometimes yes other times- well no. Haven't played Stalker but, I know I'll like it I think I'm the only guy on the planet who played all the way through OUTBREAK!!!!;) They never fixed OB right either, but I still had fun, bugs and all, hell makes it even more of a challenge when the game is buggy, I kill my self.......:eek2:

Blue

STALKER reminds me of a game called Boiling Point: Road To Hell (published by Atari)

the gameplay is almost exactly the same, except Boiling Point takes place in some banana republic central american island, and STALKER takes place in a blown-out nuclear reactor area lol